Partition Backup and Restore?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slid., Feb 20, 2004.

1. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

For every computer at my college the partition is restored to its original state when they first setup the computers. This means that if someone installs AIM or downloads a virus the computer will restart like it never happened.

Does anyone know what software they could use to do this? I'm taking a look at Norton Ghost but I don't know if it can be set to restore a partition at every bootup.

Also, the computers bootup without delay - so maybe it only restores files that were changed.

Anyone?

Thanks.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Ghost could do it but there would be a delay writing from one HD or partition to another. The trick with ghost doing it is setting it up on a FAT32 partition and having the boot.ini change on each reset (back and forth). I schedule a full backup once a week like this. I guess you could do it with 3 partitons to eliminate the delay (1 archive partiton and two working partitions - when you restart, the other working partition starts up and once up and running copies the archive partition to the other working partition). I'm intrigued on how they accomplish this too.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

DeepFreeze. That's what they use at my school.

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Cool thanks. I'll be at school Monday and post the results, maybe they use DeepFreeze too.

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

That's what some of the other departments use. We only image our labs once a semester.

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Yep - my school uses DeepFreeze as well. It's pretty cool and I'll probably end up buying it.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yeah, at my school (at least last year, not sure about this year, I don't have any computer-related courses) all the computers in the school have DeepFreeze, but the ones in the programming and video labs have partitions that aren't DeepFreezed because of the large amount of disk space that the students who use those labs need (can't always fit something in your filespace and then because our tech is an idiot it takes like 4 days to get your filespace increased).