SRS Parking Issues w/ Neighbor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by airbball23, Jun 30, 2009.

1. airbball23

airbball23 Rent this Space only $5/mnth

alright i need some advice on this.

Recently a neighbor of mine moved (i live in a big apt complex) and he parked next to me. We bought a new car (going to be a year come end of july) and it's not a cheap car either and we park it in our parking spot (which we had for over 10 years)

so anyways the super of the complexes gave away the spot next to ours to some dude (who also has another spot in the complex w/ another car) - all and fine.

Couple weeks ago i started notices door scratches on my car (you know when they open the door and it hits your door) (i only had a few b4 due to the other neighbor). Now this is on my right side of my car. My neighbor to the left of me is mindful and never slams open his door or even hits my side of the car (and he parks backwards so he opens that side everyday since the driver side is facing my left driver side).

So the first time we noticed a scratch we told the super to tell his boy to becareful with opening the door. I could easily tell he did it cause he had the mark on his door (the inside edge where u can clearly see his hit a car).

Now yesterday i noticed an increase of that scratch that was there and i saw a new mark on his car (where he opens the door and you can see he hit a car).

Now he has an old car (vw passat) and clearly by looking at his car you can see he doesnt give a shit about the apprence of his car. Now he has another car in another spot which is a dark green honda accord (old model) with rims and he clearly seems to be taking care of that car.

Now we told the super that his dude keeps banging up our car but the super was like "go call the police". But the issue here is - there is no way to prove it was him even though i know it is him. Also i have absolutley no scratches on my left side and it's the douchbag neighbor on the left of me banging up my car. Also the super gave this spot to him until a new tenant moves into the apt next to me so clearly the super could if he wanted to take away his spot.

Now i understand it's a car and shit will happen to it but mind you - nothing happens on the left side (driver side) of my car but all the scatchs and bangs are on my right side passenger side of the door. The super apprently already told the dude to becareful but clearly i see he is not and he has a car that he's careful of but this one he doesnt and i get the wrong of the stick.

what would you guys do in this case? I have no proof he did it so it would be useless to call the cops and it's not like a light scratch where i can take some paint and paint over it. it's like he chipped the paint off my car and you can see the metal. (BTW i have black car so you can easily notice the scratch).

cliffs: old neighbor moved. no new neighbor yet. super gives spot to another tenant and this tenant puts scratches on my car. Super doenst say shit and says to call the cops.

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Talk to the guy yourself and ask him to please be more careful.

Have you asked if there are any other spots available that you could be reassigned to?

3. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

I would write a pleasant letter to the buildings management company explaining what happened. Explain to them that you're ready to look for new housing due to this problem but also explain that you wish not to do that because you absolutely LOVE the apartment you've been at for 10 years. Explain that you don't wish to part on these terms but if nothing is done about it then you won't have any other choice and the apartment complex will lose a loyal and responsible tenant. Plead your case in a polite and mature way and you should get something done.

option B: catch the little shit in the act and have him pay for the damage and request the super take away his spot...on the spot.

4. airbball23

we told the super to tell him (since it's his friend). I dont want to ask him cause i dont want him to get upset and key my car or anything.

No - we have an ideal spot that's right next to our building and it's assigned by proximity of where u live. We had this spot forever and it's perfect except this guy keeps denting up my ride. the first one i let it slip thinking it was probably an accident but now this is #2 and it's in the same spot as the other one so it increased the scratch even more.

5. airbball23

yeah i'm going to go talk to the building manager when he comes back from vacation. We asked him before if we could temp get the spot before any tenants come in (knowing that this exact fiasco is going to happen) but he said we woudl haev to ask the supers since they deal w/ parking.

We saw the super's wife parking her car there for a few days so we asked him and he said there is going to be a new tenant soon. then a few days later we see this douchebag park there and my father approached the super and asked what gives. he wasnt sure who parked there but then my father showed him the dude and he said oh that's the other supers friend so he probably gave the spot to him.

Now i dont think this dude does it intentionally but he's not being careful

i did notice though that he moves his baby seat to the other side when i first noticed my first scratch.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I'd take pictures of the damage on your car, and he marks on his car, and then call the police and get a written report of the damage. If it came down to it, your word against his, the pictures would be proof on your side that he DID do it. What proof (other than "I didn't do it" statement) will he have? My guess is none, and you would come out on top.

I am very particular with my car, and watch who parks next to me in my apartment complex. I used to have a neighbor that parked REALLY close to my car everyday, and left a ton of space on the other side. I thought maybe he was handicapped, or had a reason for this, but found out (by watching him) that he was able bodied and just a shitty driver. EVERYDAY I went and checked my car for dings, and when I found one I took several pictures of how he parked, the damage, his license plate and registration, etc. I turned all of this into my apartment's management office and they were more than happy to revoke his parking spot. I imagine he was pissed, but he no longer parks by me and I've even see the manager walk the grounds and leave notes on people's car when they park over the line or are not parked in the right spot.

7. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

I know how you feel mate, I had a next door neighbour hit a poll and fall on my car. Cried about not going through insurance and then proceeded to not pay and avoid me at every turn.

It's a hard choice to what level of retaliation you want to get into over a car and scratches. But the lack of respect and car for your property is the hard part.

If it continued, it would get me to a point where I would explode ...

8. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

why dont you talk to the idiot fucking up your car ? stop being passive aggresive

9. Rumbaar

Yeah ... just be aggressive? Some people just don't want that conflict or hassle. You guys have the right to bare arms over there, I'm surprise why some people are still dicks about shit like this when any nut job can be carrying a gun over there ...

10. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

did your parents drop you as a child ?

11. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

:rofl:

12. Rumbaar

It's funny I mentioned nut jobs ...

13. cyclaptor

cyclaptor Active Member

passive aggressive crew signing in. slash the mother fucker's tires in the dead of night. aww, what an unfortunate accident. too bad there is no proof you did it, just like there is no proof he's screwing with your car

14. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

This isn't Off Topic. And so far the only reasonable answers here are the non-aggressive ones. As much as I would like to put the guy's car on cinder blocks (I know people who could arrange for just that to happen), it wouldn't be worth the problems that would come of it.

15. teo

teo . => ? => !

You could talk to someone with a suite facing your parking spots about putting up a camera to monitor your car. Then you'd have proof. Of course, then you'd have another dent in it.

16. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

:hsugh: sounds like a good way to escalate it until neither of them have working cars.

17. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

setup a camera to monitor your car or forget about it. It's just a damn car.

18. Kafka

Kafka New Member

sue for negligence under res ipsa loquitar:

if you can show the injury is the kind that is ordinarily caused through negligence (the scratches you have are the kind that occur when someone opens their door too far)
    AND
    show that the person you're trying to call the police on or sue is normally in the position of someone committing that kind of negligence (he always parks right next to you)
    THEN
    it establishes an inference of negligence, which isn't conclusive but can still help.

But the video camera idea is much better to prove negligence since this seems to be an ongoing injury that you can prove with actual evidence, rather than just a single past harm that you don't have the evidence for.

19. Kafka

Kafka New Member

:rofl:

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I would buy a pair of those rubber edge guards for car doors and put them on his doors. Not permanently, just pushed into place. See if he gets the message.

21. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

No offense but thats the risk you take parking in an apartment complex, they don't hold any responsibility for damage to your car I'm sure it says that in the lease too.

22. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

THIS! ^

23. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

this.

and just talk to the dude directly. tell him you have noticed some dents and ask if he could please be careful.

if it continues, either suck it up and get a parking spot further away from your apartment, or deal with having some scratches.

if you have proof he did it, call the cops.