SRS Parents...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by themacstallion, Sep 9, 2005.

1. themacstallion

themacstallion The electric sheep are dreaming up your fate

Im 17 years old, I turn 18 next month and they know I am moving out soon and they have been acting weird lately. Usually after I get off work I just go and hang out with my friends, sometimes I call my parents and let them know and sometimes I just go without calling and they are cool with that too. They usually treat me like an adult and if they have a problem with me, they will come to me and have a good rational conversation about what's going on and we work it out.

But last night I didn't call them and my dad called me and I picked up, he said that he was just wondering where I was so I told him that I just went to church (which is actually the truth), so we hung up and after the service I went out to eat with my brother and his wife and didn't call him assuming that he knew I was okay because I was with the church crew. Anyway, he called me again and I missed his call and he said in a message that he was starting to get pissed off and he wanted me to come home, so I called to let them know I was on my way home.

When I got home he told me immediately that I'm grounded for 2 weeks. It really surprised me because they usually handle problems rationally and not spontaneously and angrily. I can understand that I should have called them but I had no warning whatsoever, if I had known it was such a big deal I would have done differently. I guess what I'm saying is if I were them I would have said that if it happened again I would be grounded. They have just become very inconsistent lately in that they always let that stuff slide and now, out of nowhere I am grounded without warning.

They said I can only go to and from work and nothing else for 2 weeks and I can't have any visitors here. I think this sudden change in consistency might be because they know I am probably in my last month of living with them and they are trying to keep me with them as much as possible in that time, also I think it may be because it could be akward for them to see me growing up and they want to grasp on a little more to parenthood and have a sense of still being in control of my life. What do you guys think? Did they do the right thing? Are they out of line? Am I out of line?

2. RotiEatter

RotiEatter New Member

Just deal with it... You are to close to leaving your house to create real issues man.

Being grounded probably sucks [I've never been grounded]... but honestly, just deal with it. I think its un-fair, but I don't think being with church people should make you think its a valid excuse. Church People don't always mean good people. I think most of them are worse , but thats just IMO.

But anyways, what part of A-Town are you reppin'? I'm in Gwinnett.

3. themacstallion

Newnan, like 30 miles from atlanta anyway. i just put atlanta because im pretty close and no one knows where the hell newnan is

4. johan

johan Active Member

They grounded you because you didn't call them and were hanging out with friends from church?

Something here doesn't add up. What else is going on previously and/or what are you leaving out of the story.

5. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

did you mention that you were with your bro and his wife and at church?

that seems so irrational that there must be something else thats going on, when i was 18 and my parents called, if i actually answeres (which i never did) if iwas at church they'd probly have a heart attack.

but like said above, id just deal with it, sometimes parents are just a bit weird, i know im purposely going to fuck with my kids when i have them, i think thats part of the point, their parents fucked with them, they fuck with you, you fuck with yours, thats the circle of life

6. themacstallion

Exactly, it doesn't add up. There is something going on with them that they aren't open about right now.

7. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere New Member

I know too about the situations that "don't add up." I remember getting a call to come home and make my bed or my shit would be out in the street. My stepdad was going to be gone for the week and he wanted me to write a report on the job hunting I did and have it ready, on the kitchen table, for his inspection when he returned from his trip. I moved out after that incident. Been doing great on my own for about two months now =0).

8. themacstallion

Good for you :hugot:

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

You'll do fine.
    I was kicked out of my house at 17 :o for going to a college fair (true story). Mom was mad because my fiance (now husband) drove myself, my daughter and my little sister to the local tech. college for the fair without telling her (she was unavailable at work) first.

10. MikeYOX

MikeYOX May 2000 account: DELETED :(

My father tried to ground me for 6 months to prevent me from leaving home.

Parents get scared when their children are about to go off on their own, and some parents respond very irrationally to this fear.

My advice? grin and bear it, or move out now.

11. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere New Member

Grin, bear it, and save a shitload of money while you're rent free. I was loose with my finances when I moved out at 18 (now 22). The move away didn't last long because I blew my money on stupid shit and didn't understand the concept of budgeting. It's really embarassing to say "fuck you I'm out of here" and then come crawling back after a few months. I learned from all of my mistakes the first time I moved out and applied the experience to the next move.

What made the difference between this move and the first (18 years old) move is that I am more mature with my money and I can setup a budget.

12. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere New Member

13. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

hehehe, it seems that your parents love you and don't want you to leave the house yet. But as others said just bear with it, you'll probably will see them getting more emotional in the oncoming month as you make preperations to leave the house.

Actually you being grounded and all is a good oppertunity to start packing your bags.

14. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

At 20, my mother grounded me for a weekend because I walked 200ft down the street to talk to the neighbor without telling her where I was 'going' first (psycho, and no, nothing else horrible was going on). I was home from college for the weekend. Needless to say, that order was ignored. Don't take it seriously. Just do your thing. If they don't trust you by now, they never will anyway, and you're out of there in a month, so who cares? They'll get over their issues on short order once you're out.

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Until you're 18, technically you have to still listen to them. Just deal with it for that one month, and then get the hell out of there.

16. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

Your parents are having a hard time separating from you. They know that you are growing up and they are having a difficult time making the transition. They'll adjust eventually.

17. Capicu

Capicu New Member

same shit happens to me.

if i go out anywhere, they expect me to call them like every 5 minutes and let them know exactly where i am and who i am with.

wtf.

i never call though it pisses me off so much.

i just started college now and my mom still gets pissed off if i don't call her.

WTF IM IN COLLEGE GODDAMNIT I HAVE TO GO TO CLASS AND I WORK!

18. gnat

gnat New Member

Get over it. Things aren't as bad as they seem from what I can gather.

Newnan isn't terrible, used to work there. I may have installed your newnan utilities cable modem :noes: :noes: :run:

19. themacstallion

You enabled me to access OT :bowdown: