GUN Parents upset over gun saftey class in school

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 31, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.fox28.com/News/index.php?ID=12556
    Hunting In Physical Education Classes? Click For Video!
    What are your kids learning at school? For some parents in Plymouth, it's a shocking answer. A physical education class has some parents very upset.

Aimee Falls says, "I was in shock and I was completely offended."

When Aimee Falls found out that her 13 year old daughter was learning how to hunt in her physical education class at Lincoln Jr. High School... without parental notice or consent.

Aimee Falls says, "I felt my rights as a parent were totally violated."

Marian Curl, whose granddaughter is also in the class, says she feels the same way.

Marian Curl says, "When you see all the bad things that have happened to children with guns, why would a school even want to teach children how to use guns?" :hsugh:

But Lincoln Jr. High School Principal, John McNeil says that's exactly why the school has the class... to teach students gun safety in case they ever come in contact with one.

John McNeil says, "Our goal and our aim is to give kids knowledge and strategy about how to handle those situations if they ever come upon them."

But Aimee says the course goes way beyond gun safety. The book the class uses shows kids how to load and fire a gun and how to correctly shoot different types of animals. And the lessons don't end there.

"This page show you where all the safeties on the guns are. Did they teach your how to take the safeties off those guns in class?

Sasha Falls says, "You can just pull em back."

Aimee Falls says, "I do not feel comfortable with them knowing this information that I know they have been taught. It's scary."

Principal McNeil says, while he understands Aimee's concerns, he believes that children not knowing how to properly handle a weapon is even scarier.

John McNeil says, "As a result of not being real knowledgeable, some individuals have been injured."

And hopes parents will recognize the benefits a hunting class, but understands that some may never be comfortable with their children learning about guns.

In the future, students at Lincoln Jr. High School will most likely have to get parental permission to take the hunting course.

But some parents say if the class continues, they will take their students out of the school.

--

2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I really wish this was humorous instead of scary, but this kind of ignorance is a threat to the right to 2nd amendment

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

"When you see all the bad things that have happened to children with guns, why would a school even want to teach children how to use guns?"
    :rofl: :ugh: :noes: :wtc:

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

What a bunch of retards. Typical worthless parent. "My kid has been taught something I don't agree with at school! Time to whine and complain!" Why don't these people act like parents and teach their kids whatever screwed up reason they have for fearing guns.

5. t1h

t1h Guest

the only bad thing i see thing that have happened to children with guns is when dumbass parents don't keep their guns locked up.

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

we had that class in school, and none of our gen problems with school shootings.

7. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

Pfft. I was just this morning going over some very basic gun safety with my 4-year old daughter. Not a one of my five kids has EVER had a problem having a gun in the house, because they've been taught how to be around them safely.

I'm all for parental notification. I like knowing what my ankle-biters are learning. I don't see any need for parental approval on this, though. This is no different than having driver's education classes at school. What claims more lives per year, guns or cars?

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

shes only scared of guns because she has no practical experience with them :ugh:

9. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I think its dumb that the parents are overreacting about guns based on their comments. But, I don't think its necessary to teach hunting or gun safety in schools. That's up to the parents, an afterschool program, etc.

I'd rather have my kid learning math, science, history, or English. I think it's pretty lame if you ask me. But, the parents are out of line referring to how dangerous guns are. All of the shootins are either because the kids are dumb and don't know how to handle guns (parents fault) or the kids get access to the guns because the parents didn't lock them up (parents fault).

10. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Gun safety shouldn't be a requirement at all. It should be something the paraents teach or show an interest in. I have never read a news story where a child was shot or killed because they ran across a gun that was just laying around.

I've never been hunting once in my life. I couldn't care less about hunting. I don't need my kid being taught in school about hunting. If it is something that HE is interested in I would find avenues to educate him on it. I will teach my son about guns and proper gun safety even though my wife hates guns.

As far as teaching sex education... nearly ever kid is going to start having sex at some point. Not every kid is going to come in contact with a gun.

11. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

so you would rather risk it then? say your kid is at a friends house, you arent there to protect him and tell him no. that friend pulls out dads gun and starts playing with it. Interest or Not, your kid's interpretation and reaction of the situation could very well be the deciding factor on whether or not someone is going to the morgue. School prepares the youth of our nation for real life. Guns are part of real life.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Im going to love hearing the stories about people who sign up for the shooting club at our school, the University of California. Especially those from the bay area or LA :rofl:

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I grew up around unlocked guns. My family had a gun closet, and most of the men carried and slept near an unlocked gun. We had no accidents because we knew how to handle guns and knew what was and was not acceptable behavior with them. It's the dumbass parents that vilify guns that are the problem.

14. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Problem is a majority of parents today dont really expose their child to guns. Therefore they fear them. Or kill themselves

So youre saying they shouldnt be taught at an earlier age to not fear them, and they should legally disband this free gun education, teaching kids that guns are bad and evil, ultimately making more anti-gunners in the future?

15. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

i was taught about guns at a young age, starting with a bb gun and treating it like a real gun then after years of that i moved up to a .22 . But had i not be taught about gun safety i could have hurt A. myself or B. others. Im for gun safety.

16. BigBadJohn

Did it ever say who was teaching the class?
    I think that it should be put on by guys from the NRA or law enforcement though.
    And :ugh: to the parents saying its shocking that the kids know how to turn the safety off. Its just the exact opposite as turning the safety on. I guess they shouldnt teach the kids to turn the safties on. :rolleyes:

And then they go on complaining that they taught the kids to load a gun. Im sorry, but how the blue fuck can you teach a hunting class without knowing how to load a firearm.
    People go on juding firearms without possibly even holding one in their lives. Thats exactly like being racist.

17. reman

reman New Member

Man, we didn't get that in school.

18. BigBadJohn

The girls in our hs got to do archery, yet the most cool thing us guys got to do was play dodgeball

19. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Up until ~1980 our public high school i went to had a shooting range in it. It may have been open even longer then that.

20. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

That is sweet. If I'm ever a teacher I'm gonna bring that shit up. :bigthumb:

21. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Gun courses are mandatory in Russia...

But I disagree with it being mandatory. I think it should just be a electoral kind of class. It is a good idea though.

Oh... and since no one else said it... Indiana FTL.

22. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

anybody else have fucked up color when watching that?

23. cura

cura New Member

My guns dont have safeties :noes:

24. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:noes:

I THINK that my mosin has a safety, but I dont know how to use it :o

My safety generally consists of actions open, magazines out.