SRS Parental Abuse onto his/her child

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pringles, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I know someone that got very close to me and admitted to having been physically abused by their parent. They didnt go into details, but they mentioned the throwing of objects and hitting. They also mentioned further verbal abuse. I as a good friend can't help but just let this go. I'm a very moral person and to know that if I told this to someone and they did nothing to help me destroies me inside. he/she/it has told me this and when I confront them asking them if there is anything I can do they get mad as anyone would. They also refuse to want to turn it in because logically it's their parents. I agree completely with her/his/its side of the arguement, but I'm just a caring person that would want the same done in return. I have brought it up twice and both times have been shut down and said not to worry about it and what not. I have made her/him/it promise to let me know if it happens again. her/him/it is curently 17 going 18 in a month.

What should I do? Do I just have to accept that life is a bitch and some people chose to take it and not fight for their rights? Or should I keep pushing this in hopes of a happier person. I (think I) know that if this problem was solved this person could live a FAR HAPPIER life knowing that they have a succesfull bond with their adult as he/she/it envies me for what I have with mine.

Thanks ot :sadwavey:

questons,comments,suggestions feel free to spit.

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

So the person is 17/18 years old and being abused by the parent? How long before the person moves out of the house?
    Quite honestly, I wouldn't look the other way. I would encourage the person to talk to SOMEONE about it, to get out of the situation they're in. Given that they're close to turning 18, is the person planning on moving out soon?
    I have a horrible relationship with my mother. While I would have preffered to have a 'normal' relationship with her, it simply didn't happen that way. Would I be happier and healthier if I had a normal relationship? Possibly. But I also know now (at 23), that I can't dwell on it and I need to take care of myself before I worry about my relationship with them. I think the same could possibly be applied to your friend's situation.
    Are you the only person your friend has confided in? If not, why not think about making an anonymous complaint to Social Services?

3. Pringles

Pringles New Member

she/he/it going to college next year. he/she/it thought it would be over then, but now its moms is threatening she cant do certain things with college tuition money. It will goto college next fall. It has only told me as far as I know. It hasnt been "abused' to my knowledge for a coulpe of months if not a year. If I made the anon call it would be me and I'm not sure I have the right to enter someone elses life like that.

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

You're not sure you have the right to enter someone's life like that?
    I've personally been on both ends of a call to Social Services. I've had abuse alleged (none found) as a way of getting to me, and I've also turned people in for abusing their children. To be completely honest I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I suspected (or had knowledge of) abuse.
    Your friend was reaching out to you for help, right?

5. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I dont think she was really reaching out for help. Shes a very independent female which is why I enjoy her company because I know she will stand her ground and not just give into everything i want. I think she tries to look past it. Either way it hasnt happened for a while. If she mentions it again I'll call. In the end she wasnt really reaching to me for help just telling me her situatio, I think.