parallels for MBP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pepe, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Pepe

Pepe New Member

as much as i dislike windows, there are some programs that require it. rather than always switching to my shitty dell laptop that i throw in the corner with hopes that it will break after every time i use it, i need to figure out how to get parallels up and running on my MBP.

right now i see two issues that i need to figure out/take care of

1. find out how to get this working
    2. obtain a copy of windows (preferably not vista) that won't cost a bunch

if anyone has any advice or experience i would love to hear it. i'm new to the board and would have searched but i can't locate the search button (i assume its a member only feature?). so if this has already been discussed a simple "STFU PEPE" and a link to the right thread will be sufficient. thanks.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

vmware fusion works better for me.

3. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

did you already buy parallels? if not, you could try Sun's Virtualbox. it's free.

essentially what you're doing is having the software create a virtual hard drive on your mac's drive which will then share video/audio/network hardware with your mac. the setup will be simple...it asks you what kind of OS you're installing, how much RAM you want to assign to it, how big you want the virtual HDD to be.

then you're going to put the vista disc in or, if you have it as an ISO, have software mount it as if it were a CD in the drive. then you'll boot the guest machine, and it will be just like booting a new computer, except that it will be in a small window. you boot from the CD, and it will install windows in the guest machine.

after it's all installed, you will need to install parallels / virtualbox / VMware's guest additions, which is a software package that makes it possible to dynamically resize the guest OS's window, run coherence mode, etc.

post any questions you have

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

skill parallels and get fusion instead...

pretty easy to get setup and running... install fusion, tell it to do an automated install of windows, pop in the windows disc and come back 20-30 minutes later.

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

. on the fusion. On my MBP I can open fusion, it loads xp in about 10-15 seconds and its booted and ready to roll.

6. Pepe

Pepe New Member

so fusion sounds like the way to go, any ideas on how to get a decent copy of windows (if that discussion isn't allowed here let me know and i will edit it out) for cheap or free? not that i don't mind paying, but i would probably use this only sparingly so its not like i want to go out and buy the full version of a windows os. perhaps torrents?

7. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

why not *try* virtualbox, since it's free, since you're going to have to spend money on a valid license of windows.

all these programs can open the guest OS quickly, since you have the option to save a "snapshot" of the OS when you turn it off. it's like saving a video game, with the exact state of the computer (e.g. the RAM) saved. booting up a snapshot takes much less time than a full boot.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

My uni signs up for microsoft licences so I can get a key for just about anything including xp, vista etc off their website for free.

9. Pepe

Pepe New Member

^so if you could get a free xp key what would you want in return?

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

sorry, using mine :hs:

11. k1d.

k1d. New Member

how about a vista cd key lol

12. goten2000

goten2000 Tupac's Son

uhh sun virtualbox is the way to go. everything you get from the other software, but it's free. plus, you can add as many virtual stations as you like (i.e. windows XP, windows 7 beta, unix, linux, etc). super easy to setup as well.