SRS Panic Disorder/Agoraphobia

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by magik, Mar 29, 2007.

1. magik

magik New Member

I stopped seeing a psychiatrist a few years back (I'm young so my father was the one paying for everything, when I turned 18 he stopped paying and I stopped going).

Over the past few years things have gotten progressively worse and worse as time goes on. I was in and out of hospitals due to fainting during panic attacks and often needing medical attention due to injuries caused during this.

Since last year I have become completely home bound. I am 21 and do not have a license because I am too scared to drive, I have never had a job because I have panic attacks when going to fill out an application or a scheduled interview, I cannot go anywhere alone - I completely depend on my boyfriend to do everything for me.

And nobody seems to understand what I'm going through. I have tried to explain it and it's just pointless. It has gotten so frustrating for me that I have gone as far as cutting, drinking, taking benzos, and crying myself to sleep most nights.

I don't want to feel like this anymore, but I don't have insurance and I don't think I have the money to see a psychiatrist again. I have emailed a few places nearby to see if there is anyway I can afford treatment, I guess we'll see what the going rates are?

:ugh:

2. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Boyfriend is the exact same way, he was unemployed for a long time because interviews gave him panic attacks. You really need to get a job and get insurance. Easier said than done, i know. Boyfriends therapist has helped him develop a set of "tools" to use in panic situations, like giving someone is ID instead of telling them all of the critical info, basically arangeing it so he can talk less. I don't know if htat helps you at all. Im sorry.

3. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

I think you really need to see a good highly recommended doctor and get on some meds. What about working a government job like the post office or something low stress like that?

4. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

See a good hypnotherapist. I can recommend a good one if you can't find one in your area.

5. Electric_Church

Electric_Church New Member

I 2nd that

6. magik

magik New Member

Yeah, I don't make much money, I run my boyfriend's website for him since I can't seem to build up the nerve to go out and apply for a real one. Probably make like 1-3k a month, but he's making good money so ... I guess we're going to put some funds together to get me some help.

Currently I've found a few places within 30 minutes of me that claim to have sessions for $75. Still waiting to hear back from them though, I guess we'll see?

7. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Check out Kaiser and BlueCross, etc. Most have individual plans that are not too expensive to get on. If you have not had coverage for over a year, there may be some exclusions to pre-existing conditions though.

Definitely get help though. Things can get better. My SO had some problems with depression and after a few YEARS of trying different meds she is 200% better - back to her old self. I don't believe it drugs but ... damn ... now I do. Quality of life is amazing. Good luck! :x:

8. lets_talk

lets_talk New Member

I think you're on the right track, researching and wanting to get help. You can't be a prisoner in your own home, because your panic disorders might transfer to something at home. Then you won't feel safe anywhere, you just have to fight it and don't let it control your life. I know its easier said than done, but through getting help, you'll be able to figure what is triggering your fear. Keep us updated.

9. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Like everyone else has said, you're taking a huge first step by researching your problem. Most people don't even get that far. I know how hard it is dealing with anxiety and panic...it's truly one of the most debilitating problems on the planet. The key to the situation is to realize that as much as it hurts, the only way you're going to get better is to FORCE yourself to fix the problem, even if that throws your anxiety into high gear.

If you have a primary care physician, one very easy thing you can do is ask for a prescription for Inderal (generic is propanolol). It's a beta-blocker that's primarily used as an anti-hypertension agent, but it also works against many of the physical symptoms of panic attacks. It's only used as needed, so you won't need to worry about taking it every day...just carry around a baggie in your pocket and take one about 20 minutes prior to when your agoraphobia would be kicking in or you're entering a high-stress situation, like an interview.

Also, if you can, sit down with your dad or a friend or somebody that your trust and work on some at-home cognitive-behavioral therapy. If you're interested I can give you some pointers on things you could talk about and do. It can be extremely effective, even if it's not administered by a therapist.

10. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Whew...panic disorder.

I've been there, most likely still am, while I'm not agoraphobic.

There are ways to get around the methods of thinking that result in a panic disorder. There are also methods where you can live without panic, and stay drug free. Right now I'm working on a home program called "Attacking anxiety and depression" by The Midwest Center. It's working well because I can go at my own speed, and I don't need to leave the house. The program is very reasonable (there are used ones available on eBay for the cost of a couple therapist sessions) and it feels like it's made a difference in my own life.

Best wishes for you, I hate that you're having problems. I wouldn't wish panic disorder on my worst enemy...it's like hell on earth.

11. lets_talk

lets_talk New Member

Yes, it is hell on earth. But I am glad to hear you're doing better. Just take it day by day.