A&P Pan and Blur - need tips

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dragon1976, Jul 2, 2003.

1. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest

I have a Nikon n80.

1) I want to take pics of a car passing by. I want to blur the car and have the background remain sharp. Naturally, I will use a tripod. What shutter speed (1/15, 1/30?) should I set the camera to, and how fast should the car be traveling. (5mph/10mph?)

2) I also want to pan and blur, where the passing car is somewhat sharp, and the background is totally blurry. How fast should the car be traveling, and what shutter should I use. I probably will not use a tripod for this.

This will be a controlled environment, and I will not just be taking pics of random passing traffic.

3) Lets say its a person running. Most people run at around 5-10 mph (guessing). So If I want to do these pan and blur tricks, what shutter speed is appropriate?

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks.

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The 1st rule in photography is, when in doubt, shoot a lot of shots. Having said that, a static camera (not panning) shooting a moving car will give you a blurry shot of the car at any shutter speed 1/60 sec or slower. The faster the car travels or the slower the shutter speed, the more blur. At a certain point, probably around a 1 sec shutter speed or slower, the car won't even really register on the film if it's moving quickly, however the lights will assuming that it's dark enough to see the lights.

To blur the background and keep the car sharp, you need to pan the camera with the car, keeping the car centered in the frame. Set your shutter speed to 1/60 sec. to begin with. Also try 1/30 and 1/15 sec. Any slower and the car will also blur. A neat trick is to use a flash and a slow shutter speed while panning the camera with the car. The slow shutter speed (1/2 or 1/4 sec.) will blur the car but the extremely short duration of the flash will also act as a shutter and sharpen parts of the photo. This is best done in the early evening when the ambiant light level is lower than the flash output.

Good luck. Post some pics of your results.

Jim

3. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

do you want the background to look like it's moving (motion blur) or just be out of focus? you could always just throw the background out

4. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest