MMA pan ams

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by phat bahsturd, Mar 30, 2008.

1. phat bahsturd

phat bahsturd New Member

i had a blast at my first pan ams... i was less than 5 feet from jacare, saulo ribeiro (sp?), and some guy who looked suspiciously like soko. although when one guy on my team asked him if he was indeed soko he shook his head. :dunno:

anyways, like a true noob i lost my first match via armbar. The guy jumped guard from the beginning and the rest of the time I was trying to pass. I tried this guard pass where i feed him the arm in his collar, and use my other hand to push down the knee when he opens to armbar... i fucked up. :wtc: He got it then, but i escaped, rolled, he got my back, i rolled out of it, and he got side mount, then full mount. I thought I was losing on points so I started going crazy and being reckless. He grabbed the arm and took the armbar. Sucks, but to put it in perspective, the guy went on to take fourth in the entire division, so he was pretty good. Seeing as how it was my first tourney, i was pretty satisfied just learning and being there to support the rest of my team.

things i learned --
    1. I need to train at tournament speed... i think i took it too easy the weeks leading up it... i actually didn't decide to do it until 2 weeks before. The speed was what surprised me the most, i was expecting to go in and roll just the way we do at the academy... wrong. That, plus skipping breakfast, caused me to gas way early.
    2. Need to warmup properly... i fucked up and my gi barely passed inspection. the hideous gameness patch on my pants had to be cut off, and my gi top was so short the first official wouldn't let me go on. I think the other guy felt bad for me cause he saw how bad i was stressing out and kinda let me go by. Because of this stuff, i had zero time to actually warmup and just jogged in place for a couple mins before the match. I was pretty cold still and my hip muscles are still pretty sore.
    3. I went in thinking I was going to do this takedown, then blah blah blah. I now realize that any sort of gameplan is useless, because the opponent is most likely not going to do what you want. I really wasn't expecting him to pull guard, but he did, and all the takedowns i had worked on were for nothing. I think that i now need to work on my basics more... ie passing, positions.

Anyways, someone please care. And i'll post the video up if anyone wants.:wtc:

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

what belt

3. phat bahsturd

phat bahsturd New Member

white middle

4. chechen

thats alright son.. we all have a long way to go. white belt is all about making mistakes

5. phat bahsturd

phat bahsturd New Member

the guy who beat me was really nice, he was mad quick, because of that i was on the defensive the whole time. i was there pretty much all day, until 7:30. I think i saw you walking around... but again, i didn't feel like introducing myself as some internet stalker.

6. phat bahsturd

phat bahsturd New Member

werd, did you compete today or yesterday? how'd you do?

7. chechen

i was not there

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

awww why didn't you and tonster came out to eat with us? yeah i was standing right next to mini-soku during hillary's 3rd match. he was rooting for the other girl :greddy:

9. phat bahsturd

phat bahsturd New Member

so that WASNT soko? i thought he just didn't want the publicity.

Anyways, i wanted to come out but the gf was there so i had to go out with her and do coupley stuff.

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

nah I don't think that was him. Someone else asked if he was too and he said no.

11. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

12. phuree

phuree New Member

Pan ams for your first tournament is pretty fkn crucial.

13. phat bahsturd

phat bahsturd New Member

14. phat bahsturd

phat bahsturd New Member

constructive criticism?