PAL and NTSC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Axlerod, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Axlerod

Axlerod Grammar Police

My question is, does VGA output subscribe to PAL or NTSC or is it different alltogether?

I've got a laptop which came from Japan, and as I understand it they use NTSC like in North America. However, I'm living in Australia right now where they use PAL.

I bought a VGA -> Component cable, and it's not working on the TV here (looks all purple and messed up). Could the cable be busted, or is my laptop just not compatible?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

VGA is VGA.

NTSC / PAL are diff. That's why you need the scan converter.

what res are you running?

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The incompatibility stems from something other than the PAL vs NTSC issue. VGA is an RGB component signal. The component signal used between DVD players and TVs is YPbPr (color and luminance). You'll need a device called a transcoder to convert one type of signal to another.

4. Axlerod

Axlerod Grammar Police

Oh ok, thanks guys.

So the cable I have would work for a projector or something of that sort, but not TVs.

I have seen a VGA -> S Video cable, would that work? The TV also has an S-Vid input, but the laptop doesn't have an S-Vid out.

I'm running 1024x768 (it's a Portege 2010).

5. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The S-vid cable won't work either unless your laptop has the ability to output Chroma/Luma type signals from the VGA port.

You need a VGA-to-component transcoder like this: http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/9a60.asp

But before you try that, you need to make sure you can get your laptop's video card to ouput a frequency/resolution combo that can sync with a TV.

You might want to look for a port replicator for your laptop that has tv-out.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

7. Axlerod

Axlerod Grammar Police

Thanks guys!