Painters and Bodymen....check in

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MandibleTongue, Apr 29, 2005.

1. MandibleTongue

MandibleTongue New Member

Hey everyone, i'm new here was was wondering if there are any painters or bodymen in here. I'm a painter (minor bodywork) and have been doing it for 5 years now. Also what brand of paints are you using/familiar with. I've only used dupont.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

One of my friends is a paint and body man. Outstanding work too. He used Spies-Hecker paints and has a real nice downdraft paintbooth. What is most impressive are his wetsanding and buffing skills. He does a really good job matching the factory orange peel with minimal sanding on repairs and terrific on complete repaints which are practically orange peel free. www.mistercollision.com

3. MandibleTongue

looks like the quality/clientel that we have at my work. That is a nice break down of the repair process.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

not myself but my step is a retired painter who specialized in Glasurit paint, his shop had specialized in restoring old ferarris and he did some other work on mercedes, porsche, pretty much the general euro 15k paint jobs. :)

I think he did that for maybe 10-15 years, i forget, he decided to go do other things.

He helped a friend restore a bronco II about a year ago, nicest paint job ive ever seen on a bronco, he's a perfenctionist and whatever he does he does well.

I have a free paint job coming from him in the future.

5. SSICK WX3

SSICK WX3 New Member

The body shop i work at uses Spies-Hecker.

6. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

I don't know if I qualify as a 'paint and body man'

I own this business www.aero-colours.com . We do a lot of touch up, bumper repair, single panel blends, etc. No major stuff or collision repair, just the little base-hits

We use Sherwin Williams/Martin Senour/NAPA paints and some proprietary chemicals and clearcoats.

7. MandibleTongue

Do you get a lot of business, i'm trying to get on my own and wanted to specialize in minor repair.

8. edrox

Look into the franchise then. I do about $12k/mo on average

9. Scottwax

Yeah, Aldo is really thorough. He is State Farm's #1 ranked body shop in the Dallas area and he is the only one I send my customers to. When he does the work, I don't have a mess to clean up next time I detail the car. Good paint and body guys are hard to find.

10. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

where did you learn how to do all that? i am interested but not interested in taking an overpriced class.. they run like a grand or more for a few days.. are there any books you recommend i can read up on? i would greatly appreciate it bro.

11. edrox

well, "bro" - learning paint and body from a book is no way to do it. You have to get hands-on instruction if you want to do it right. Would you trust your car to someone who had only read some books?

If you are interested in learning paint & body as a career, look at your local community college or trade school. Many of them offer courses that can get you up and running.

As for my business, when I bought the franchise, I received corporate training. I went to the headquarters for a 2-week class (1 day of touch-up training, and the rest on light body and bumper repair). But, I would say it has taken me almost a year of doing it hands-on to get OK at it. I am still not great, but better than some body shops I see.

Look and see if there is an Aero-Colours franchise in your area. We have OTJ training that doesn't cost you a penny, provide all equipment and supplies, and a decent wage.

12. Scottwax

I took a semester paint and body class when I was a senior in high school. I had good grades so I was allowed to take the class at a local CC. 3 hour class one night a week for 12 weeks. I learned a lot but certainly not enough to be qualified to run a paint shop. It takes quite a while to really get good at paint and body.

13. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

Thanks. I just want to do my car and a few friends car.. maybe just get a few bucks for the labor. Yea, im not gonna jump right on it and start doing strangers cars and get sued.