paint rusting after painting.. can it be 2 defets by differnt shops?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Jan 1, 2004.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Well I have a custom mini truck. I had the rear end where the tailgate goes welded shut by a very thin peice of metal. The tailgate is gone, it just looks like one without the cracks in the side where it would open.

Anyways, he recently did the work maybe 6 weeks ago or so. It has been nasty here with snow, and all the damn salt they put on the roads. I know i cant wax the paint, but today I noticed a few litte minor rust spots. They came right off by using a clay bar, but why is this happening? Is there anyway i can protect the paint that is that new?

I thought it was a defect in the paint process? I remember when i had another custom tallgate put on before this and painted, the same thing happened and that was in the summer time. He said i couldnt wax,and little tiny rust pin heads appreared in alot of spots. I waited and clayed them all out and then waxed when it was safe,and they never appereared again. At the same time after i waxed, the paint seemed to have little tiny tiny bubble marks in it. Maybe the paint wasnt cured enough? 2 Different body shops did the work,but same process is happening.

how can i stop this from happening? Can i use anything to protect new paint?