paint question *value of car *

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by boostedscooby, Apr 6, 2005.

1. boostedscooby

boostedscooby no blue icon no care

can some one please explain to me about repainting a car and its value.

Im thinking about painting my Sti exterior only . I have deep scratches every where on the car. It is an eye sore for me. So i decided to change the color of the exterior only. Now if i pain the door hinges and underneath the hood will it lose less value than if i did not paint the hinges and underneath the hood.

2. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

If you are doing a color change, do it right. The person who may buy your car, or the dealer you trade it to, will not want to see a 2-color car. It will definitely lower your car's value.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Agreed. In addition, you get what you pay for. Don't try and price shop a paint job. If someone is substantially cheaper than everyone else, it is because they are taking short cuts, using inferior paints or both.

4. MandibleTongue

MandibleTongue New Member

well said, you definately get what you pay for in the paint and body industry.

5. Scottwax

:werd: Just ask my brother. He is suing the body shop that totally fucked up his 3 month old Dodge Ram (it had hail damage). He price shopped after State Farm cut him a $6000 check. Found a shop that would do the work for $3400. The lowest estimate to fix what that shop screwed up after he took it back 3 times is $12,000. The wheels are coated in overspray, along with the door jams, weather stripping, 3 interior door panels, most of the engine bay, horrible orange peel, there are sags, runs, fisheyes, visible sanding marks under the paint, chipping near the trim that they taped instead of removing, aftermarket hood instead of OEM like he was promised and the paint doesn't even match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See how bad the orange peel on the repainted cab is?

[​IMG]

6. edrox

Dayum

It never ceases to amaze me that people actually charge for work like that. Hope he gets it fixed right....

Good that he can prove damages *they* caused. Hope he wins

7. Scottwax

My brother's lawyer told him he (the lawyer) probably won't make much on this case but it will be worth it to nail this asshole body shop owner. The shop has now offered to repaint the entire truck and my brother responded with "so then I will have an entire truck with a crappy paint job that isn't even the right color?"

8. edrox

heheh

"yes, but it would match!"

9. Scottwax

Amazing the shop couldn't correctly match the paint on a 3-month-old truck.

BTW, he sold the business and when the new owner got served the papers, he got pissed and made the guy take back the business since he didn't tell him about the pending lawsuit. My brother's lawyer filed an injunction immediately so the guy can't sell his shop until this suit is settled.

When they took depositions, my brother said the look on the owner's face was priceless when they showed him 1 pic of my brother's truck. Apparently he didn't expect he had someone (me) who knows how to take good pictures that really showed the problems in the paint. My brother's lawyer has 15 more pics I took and will have them blown up poster size for the court date. :mamoru: