Paint Job Question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by VanillaGorilla, Oct 4, 2005.

1. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla New Member

Just bought an 86 camaro as a restoration project. How much should i be looking to pay for a paint job?

Is a place like maaco worth going to? How much would it cost? Does it have to be the same color or can i change it. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

2. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Just remember that you usually get what you pay for. If you don't mind a Maaco-price paint job, go for it. Just be careful... their advertised prices can go up with bodywork, prep, part removal, etc.

I recently paid around $3K for my paint job and it looks better than factory. A lot of the exterior parts (tailights, door lock, handles, etc.) were removed and the front and rear bumpers and hood were removed, prepped and painted seperately.

Changing the color is going to add to the expense.

3. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla New Member

Thanks for the advice 396hawk, what kind of place did you go to get your paint job?

4. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

A local place I go to called High Tech Autobody. They painted my Mustang, my wife's Z34, my Firehawk and they have done countelss jobs for friends and family members. They are a bit on the pricey side but they are very good.

5. shanker

shanker unemployed

a quality paint job will run 6-8K thats body work, strip, everything.

a descent job will run you 2500 or so if you strip the car down

6. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Luckily my car didn't need any bodywork. :bigthumb:

7. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

dont go with maaco, do a search and look at some of the jobs they have done....For a medeocre paint job i charge about 2000+supplies and for a full color sand buff strip with body work probably upwards toward 6-7k.

8. JwM

JwM Guest

What i would suggest doing is find out who is good in your area, ask around. Alot of times you will find a guy that works for one of the companies that does work on the side at home for extra bucks. That is who I would hit up. Where I worked there was a guy named Kevin that would do stuff on the side at home, and our shop didn't mind because they had more than they knew what to do with anyway. The boss sometimes would refer people to Kevins house. Anyway, like the others said, skip the Maaco.

9. TacoOverlord

TacoOverlord OT Supporter

Its nice being friends with a bodyman, all I would have to pay for is paint and some beer.