Paint damage on our car. What happened?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by heyskippy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

I went to wash my wife's car yesterday and found several spots on the rear passenger quarter panel where the paint had come right off the car. It looks like something splashed on the car and wherever it touched, the paint came off. There are a half dozen dime-sized spots and a bunch of tiny pinpoint size spots. In addition, a bit of the plastic taillight housing is melted right at the body where a spot appears. Whatever took the paint also melts plastic.

She works for a limo company and has to park in the same area where busses and cars get maintained and washed. We went there today looking at the ground to see if any evidence could be found but came up empty.

So I know, shit happens and it could have happened about anywhere, but I'd like to know if anyone has seen this before or knows what might have happened.

Pics.
    [​IMG]
    Embigulate

[​IMG]
    Embigulate

We'll call our paint guy tomorrow for an estimate, but any opinions shared would be appreciated.

2. Pavester

Pavester New Member

caustic subtsance probably, if something hit it. you would see scratches.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Maybe some debris got kicked up and hit that panel.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

nah i think it looks more like some acid etching, if the taillight is deformed right below the top damage spot. if not then not real sure what it is.

benz or ford 500?

5. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

I'm certain the damage isn't from impact, it's got to be chemical. While we don't know exactly when it happened, it's a sure bet it couldn't have been more than few days.

I know brake fluid will strip paint, but will it melt plastic also?

The car is a 98 SLK.

6. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

I use acetone sometimes to remove shit.. it is harsh, but it wouldnt strip paint like that! It actually vaporize really fast. I had drip it on cars before on accident and it did nothing but vaporize on the spot.

Hey, im really interested in knowing more about your friend who does pdr and touchupwork. you said he could fix that? is he equipped with compressor and spray gun or just does touchup manually (brushes, dabbers, pens, etc)? Its very rare around here to see a PDR guy who offer spraying too.. thats like saying im a lawyer and a doctor on the side.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:coold: damn i'm good.

8. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Looks like either acid or maybe brake fluid might have splashed onto your car some how. :( That totally sucks!

9. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

That was caused by a very strong and acidic chemical. Most likely an industrial chemical used in construction. Brake fluid wouldn't do that.

That damage cannot be fixed with a touchup brush. It must be sanded out and the entire quarter panel repainted.

What was your paint guy's estimate?

10. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

Whatever it was had to be a thickened liquid. If it'd been a watery substance it would have dripped and these spots are very distinct. My guess is good old fashioned paint stripper.

The estimate is $300 (not including the taillight assembly) and it's going in tomorrow morning.