Paint cracking off around mudflaps.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jackhole, May 20, 2003.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I have small molded plastic mudflaps on the rear of every wheelwell. On the front ones, the paint is cracking and flaking off where the plastic meets the paint. I've removed the mudflap and painted with touch-up paint. This works for awhile, but not it begins to crack after a short time.

What can I do to really paint this good? I don't think the touch-up paint is the stuff for the job. Do they make spraypaint in the same color as my car?

Also, I have basically the same problem around the plastic thing that surrounds the gas cap. Any suggestions on this? TIA.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I am sure they make spray paint in the color of your car. You are going to have to sand the areas down, primer and repaint and blend it in with the original paint.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Do you know somewhere online where I can get instructions for that? Also, my paint has a clearcoat. Is that something that has to be added on after the color?

I can't seem to find anyone that carries my paint code in spray paint locally. It's GM 17U. Do you know anywhere online where it can be had for a reasonable price?

4. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

after the paint dries, the clear coat gets sprayed on after.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I found some spraypaint that matches my car, it's a different code, I think it might even be a Ford color, it matches exact though.

I know I'm not supposed to wax the areas after painting, but how long should I wait before I can wax them? I was planning on waxing on the first of June, would it be alright then?

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

EMT-wait about 30-90 days before waxing. It takes a long time for paint to cure when you don't bake it at 550 degrees like the factory.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Alright, I'll just skip that part of the car when I wax in June. Also, I'm all done but it's very visible where the car was repainted. You can see where I masked off. Any way to "blend it in" with the rest of the paint. I used Swirl Free and #7, helped a little, but not much.