SRS Pain Medications

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Metal, May 16, 2006.

1. Metal

Metal Active Member

Anyone know about Ultram (Tramadol) as a pain medication or have any experience with it? I was prescribed it post-surgery, I had many procedures done during 6 weeks in the hospital for Necrotizing fasciitis, which is flesh-eating-bacteria. I've been taking the Ultram but don't notice much in it helping with pain, it seemed like other medications in the hospital helped more with the pain, like the percocets and vicodin.. is Ultram the same type of thing as those?

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  2. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

No, but damn, I just looked up the disease on wikipedia. Get well soon. :hug: :hs:

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

http://www.medicinenet.com/tramadol/article.htm

Well the thing about ultram is this. Its preferred to use because it has less side effects then traditional medicines. However as a pain killer it is 'less' effective and usually use for less severe pain cases for treatment.

Therefore my advice is that you consult an expert in medicine at the hospital that treated you to try to get 'under strictly monitored consultations/discussions/conditions a most likely slighty stronger traditional painkiller in moderate usage.This because opiates can be addictive and should be carefully used in order to create as less dependancy on these medications as possible. The risks are also of more side effects. Please take this whole discussion to your expert doctor who can set out a proper guideline for you on which medicines to take.

4. Metal

Metal Active Member

Thanks, this is good advice. However, I've been having trouble communicating with the doctor that is prescribing the meds. I'm definitely still in too much pain to make my daily tasks comfortable but it's been hard for me to get the doctor to understand it. It's been over a month with the Ultram and it hasn't done much for me. I havent talked to anyone else because it seems like I'd be going over his head. Any ideas for talking to him about it?

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Yes get another doctor who DOES understand your problem.

6. Metal

Metal Active Member

What type of doctor could I get? The one prescribing it is my primary care right now. Someone else would prescribe it if I told them I don't want to deal with my primary care on that issue any longer?

7. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

When I went in for my surgery it was the doc that did the surgery that gave me my pain killers. However my ent did the surgery.

8. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I took that once. literally. once.
    I became delirious and couldn't formulate sentences. then I threw up for a few hours and went to the hospital.

really though..
    have you ever heard of a "patient advocate?" it's essentially someone who knows your medical background and can speak for you when you are unable to for any reason. a friend, parent etc. have them talk to you doctor and explain how you're feeling and tell him you want a different med.

By the way- it's okay to "go over his head." It's your body and he's just your doctor. It's you're job to make sure you get what you need.

good luck! :)

9. Metal

Metal Active Member

Thanks for the advice..

He wrote me a script for a higher dose of the Tramadol. He also wrote me a script for Gabapentin (Neurontin) to try and cut down on the nerve pain. He said the combination should help and if not we'll try something else. Anyone know about Gabapentin for pain? - from what I've read it has a few different uses.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Once I took a large amount of Ultram and went into a stupor for three full days. I slept and layed around and didn't move. I hope that helps.

11. Metal

Metal Active Member

I've been keeping a close eye on it and now the doc is watching it too, hopefully I wont end up taking that large of an amount :x: