Pain in spine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SuperDump250, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

So I've had this tender/painful spot in my back for about a month now and it hasn't gone away so I'm a little worried. It's like a spot about 1/4" by 1/4" or so that hurts. I think maybe it's a compressed disc or something compressed or I really have no clue. I don't squat heavy (155-205 usually) and I don't deadlift that heavy (225 for reps or 275 max every once in a while).

I don't know why it hurts and it didnt start hurting all of a sudden. If I had to guess I'd say it started hurting about a month or so again when I started a routine that has me squatting/deadlifting 3 times a week but only like 1-2 sets per day.

Can I foam roll this pain away? Stretching out my back? Rest?

Not going to do squats or deads for 2 weeks and see if it gets better but I may have to go see the doc on this one. The only thing that takes away pain is if I put my hand into a fist and smush my back against it and the wall/chair.

2. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

Red dot = how big and where it hurts. On left side of spine only really.

[​IMG]

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Stop squatting and deadlifting, or doing any movements that irritate it. Try this for about 2 weeks and do some simple stretching exercises for your back. If it still hurts after 2 weeks rest I would see a doc about the potential of a slipped or compressed disk.

My dad "worked through the pain" of a compressed disk for years and it go so bad it in regards to deterioration and slipping that it required surgery.

4. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

bump for other halp.

5. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

Gonna quit squatting/dl for 2 weeks like you said - what can I do to stretch my back like that? It always feels great when I wake up because when you sleep there is no pressure you know, but then by like dinner time it's acting up usually.

6. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

deep tissue massage

7. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

If putting pressure on the spot feels good, then it's probably a soft tissue problem that can be solved by foam rolling and mobility work.

Even though it feels better in the morning, you shouldn't do stretching then. As you sleep your spinal discs get filled with fluid, and by later in the day you are actually 1 or 2 inches shorter, which is the safest time to stretch. Do some thoracic spine rolling with either a foam roller or two tennis balls taped together. Here's a sample upper body warm up that you can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM

8. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

I already do that foam rolling in the video, I'll try it some more though. I hope it's just a minor problem.

9. pollux

pollux OT Supporter

just go see a doc anyways, it'll ease your mind

10. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

Going to give it a week or so of rest (no squats/DLs) and foam roll and stuff and see if it gets better. If not I'll have them check it out. So you guys are calling it a "soft tissue problem". What does that even mean? It's like pussy and got irritated from having weight on it? How should I correct it? (Yes I know OT is 99% board-certified doctors)

11. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Why the f*ck are you asking people on F&N for spinal advice? For crying out loud I hope you turn into a cripple for taking advice from some 15 year old kid. Just go to the doctor for the sake of your back.

12. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

Soft tissue problem means that your fasciae are really tight and your muscles are most likely at an improper length:tension ratio. The way to correct it is by doing stuff similar to that video. Your soft tissue problem isn't the thing that's giving you pain right now, but the soft tissue problem is the thing that is causing your spine to give you pain now. Since your fasciae are tight it makes some areas much more vulnerable to injury. Go easy on the part that hurts for now and just keep working on mobility.

13. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Agreed completely, but there are a lot of hypochondriacs here who spend countless hours researching what may be wrong with them, and can start you in the right direction.

Superbri and abomb come to mind.

14. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

Gonna just baby it for now and foam roll that shit. If in a week or so it still hurts - Doc visit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.