paging file is too small??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Best Served Cold, Sep 9, 2004.

1. when i load up windows (xp) i get this pop before im brought my desktop says my "paging file size is too small" andit tells me how to fix it. it says i have to customize and resize it by typing in the max or initial size. but i dont know the sizes so i keep gettting this problem.

2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Why not let XP handle the size itself? XP does a fairly good job of it. If you feel you must set them manually a general rule is initial size twice the memory and max three times. (i.e. if you have 256megs of ram, initial 512 and max 768)

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Don't set the min and max to different figures. When it grows it fragments. go with 2x ram max (betwee 1 to 1.5 would be better) . If it even gets close to paging that much, you'll be grinding so slow you'll want to throw it out a window.

4. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

I remember messing with my page caching, and I was royally screwed. The computer would forget something it was doing as it was doing it.

Were you trying to make any tweaks to XP?

I think Neowin.net has the set numbers that are appropriate for your amount of ram.

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

a static size for the VM system is better...

As far as the amount of it, usually it's 1-2 times of the amount of physical memory that you have, however if you really need to compute something big/complex that requires a large amount of RAM, then set it to however amount that will do the job, a slow result is better than no result at all.

6. thanks you guys for all the info