PageFile needed...?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4W4K3, Sep 5, 2005.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

OK, I know M$ ALWAYS recommends you keep a pagefile, especially if you have a small amount of RAM.

But i got 1GB of OCZ Gold PC3500 GX, and a 40GB + 80GB HDD's...is it necessary for me to keep a Pagefile? I already put Windows on the smaller 40GB, and i put the existing page file of 1500MB on the storage/spare 80GB to free up the other drive.

would you suggest me jsut removing the page file? i've heard some programs HAVE to have a pagefile...but if it makes a big difference in performance im not sure if i need one or not.

thansk :)

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If I'm not mistaken, a PageFile on Windows is what we call swap space on *nix, correct?

Assuming the above, you probably don't need it if you have a gig of RAM. I have a gig in my system, and it runs much faster with no swap space, since swap is slower than real RAM. In my machine at work, I have only 512MB and even it is fine with no swap.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

With a large swap file (or pagefile) you can have thrashing occure, hence why a smaller swap with large amount of ram is good.

I run with 1gb of ram, and a 500mb swap file, and have zero problems at all. Hell nothing even gets placed into my swap file...

4. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

A few programs whine if there's no paging space allocated (ps6 and/or 7 comes to mind), but otherwise you're fine.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

hmm...well i use PS7, but i'll try anyways. thanks guyz. :)

(and yes i think a pagefile in Windows is the same thing as a swapfile in *nix exactly)

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windows XP and all of its services (especially after SP2) use offensive quantities of RAM, some of which is "wasted" on storing commands that check memory boundaries so programs don't violate each other by accident or on purpose. That's the price to be paid for the extra stability XP provides over older Windows versions.

As such, I would recommend at least 2GB of RAM before you try to turn off the swap file, because without the swap file there is no way to keep from crashing a program (or the whole system) if all the RAM gets filled up, so you want to have as much extra space as you can afford. Yes, I know XP doesn't use more than 1GB of RAM as efficiently as it uses less than 1GB, but it can still use it and it will still help.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I lowered it to 502MB, instead of 1500MB. i don think i'll go below that for now.

if i get rid of it i think XP will give me all kinds of warnings and BS like that and tell me every 2 mins in an annoying popup that my pagefile needs to be modified. it did that with my firewall every like 10 mins cuz i disabled the standard one. registry edit fixed that lol.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You could set the pagefile really really small (like 100MB), with a really big maximum size (like 2GB) and tell Windows to make it bigger as it needs to until it reaches a stable setting.

Of course, when you let Windows change the size of the Swap File, you run the risk that it won't be able to keep the file in one huge piece, and a fragmented swap file makes it run slower. I just set mine at a static 1GB size and I don't let Windows change it. Haven't run out of space in three years.

As an interesting side note, those three years of having XP on my computer have seen four motherboard swaps, one of which also involved changing brands of CPU, without having to reinstall anything but the chipset drivers. Does that kind of longevity qualify me for uber status yet?

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i've had it set before at 100MB min and 1GB max and EVERYTIME it increased the size of the pagefile it would give me an annoying little popup saying it was expanding the size.

weird, usually simply changing chipsets corrupts/changes critical kernel data and requires a complete re-install of windows. when i went from a via KT333 to an NF2 chipset i had to re-install.

10. AO

AO New Member

The first question to ask is: why didn't you image copy the 40 to the 80, boot from the 80 instead?

Likewise, You can install most of your programs and games on the 80 instead of the 40.

The difference is that the trash and the health files will each take 10% of the drive, so they'll take 8G + 8G on the 80 while when the OS is installed on the 40 it will only take 4G + 4G. Since I have it set to automatically delete a file when it goes into the trash, instead of keeping it in there for possible recovery, I don't worry about trash size. I do not turn off the restore / health feature, though.

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I wanted to use both my harddrives. Having Windows on a smaller/dedicated HDD makes for faster boot and load times overall. So thats why i'd like to keep Windows on my 40GB and move the pagefile.

I install everything on the 80 already, it's the storage one.

I dunno what the trash bin has to do with any of this...? I rarely ever use the trash bin unless its merely icons im deleting.