A&P PacMan Vs DLH Fight Day pics!!! 24pics...56gay_Goaway...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Dec 7, 2008.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

What can i say, im sooo happy i got to do this. I thanked Ed for letting me assist him on this major event. Got to meet some of my favorite photogs of all time. Jed Jacobson, Jae C Hong, NEIL LEIFER!!!!, Gene Blevins, Will Hart, and sooo many others. And of course my now good friends Ed Mulholland and Chris Farina. Only person missing was Al Bello, but i spoke to him via email this whole week.

I arrive at the Grand Arena Press room at 12:00, get my credentials and walk over to the press room. Ed's already there waiting for me, we chit chat a bit, and we decide to go check on teh remote camera, because both of us had a feeling we forgot to tape down the focus ring. While we were there we decide to make sure it fired. Low and behold it didnt... So scrambling we go talk to some officials and get a cherry picker crane to hoist Ed up there and double check everythign. Turns out the PW II Transceiver we used to fire was not Transmitting and only receiving, so we had to change them. Also while up there Ed noticed that something happened to the zoom lens, it had be turned out and was OOF. Took about an hour to remedy the situation by checking focus, troubleshooting the wizard and gettign teh crane up... but crisis averted.

Sadly we were unable to get Ringside access this time, as Ed was shooting for HBO and they brought out Will Hart as well, so they wanted one up top in Auxillary and one ringside, we got auxillary. Ed was told that a 200mm was going to be fine, so he only brought his 300 2.8IS to make sure. Turns out the AUX position, while pretty close) still requires a 400 to get in nice and tight. Being that my 400 is at CPS getting its yearly check up (NASCAR event is coming up) We were SOL.... he had to shoot with a converter, and well I was Fucked.. I only had my 70-200 with 1.4 with me. Most of my fight images are cropped atleast 50-60%. And for teh pepel who say the 70-200 with 1.4x is still just as good and sharp as without are retarded, shit is soft.

It was a great time, the excitement from teh crowd really got you going. Every blow you can hear teh crowd just go fucking nuts. I was only able to shoot some undercard, and 2 rounds of the Main event (fucking security guard told me i couldnt shoot, because my pass didnt say shooter on it, Ed was pissed because he wanted me to gain more experience) i still controlled the overhead cam so no worries :)

Then after we transmitted to HBO, and got some drinks and just shot the shit with Ed and Chris. The highlight of my night was after we left to go to teh parking lot (i was slightly buzzed) Chris Farina (one of my idols) asks for my phone number. And proceeds to tell me im now part of the club. Then Ed says to me see you in January for the GSP vs Penn fight, we are working that too. I was like FUCK YEAH!

Ok now my story is over, here are teh pics, they are rather shitty, but i promised you pics, so here you go.

1 From our AUX position
    [​IMG]

2 Seats all laid out
    [​IMG]

3 Undercard
    [​IMG]

4 Undercard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 OOF fuck... 1.4 + 70-200 2.8 IS = shit af for fast action
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

:bowdown:

Great shots man.

3. turbodude

i think they are terrible. But thanks ! :)

Im still learning, this fighting stuff is awesome. I could be happy for the rest of my life just shooting Celebs and Fights. Thats my new goal. I wouldnt mind being in that kind of Niche.

4. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

They are what they are. You captured the moment and feel of the fight. It would have been nice to be closer and be able to use a lower iso, but who cares.

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Did you do any noise reduction to the processing of these? I saw from exif they were 1600 ISO with a IIN and they look really clean for that.

6. turbodude

light pass with Noise Ninja. I like to use their Weaker noise preset, with the luminance noise reduction down to 25% and the chroma at 45%. Sharpening 0 contrast 0 (prefer to do these addition separate from teh noise program)

7. pawis

pawis werd em up

im digging the shots, especially with what you had to work with. is 10 right before an uppercut landed?

musta been awesome to be there :cool:

8. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

Congrats man :cool: pics sucks that you couldn't get any much closer, but I would have to say with what you got and what you had to do the outcome is great!!

9. turbodude

yeah i hair too fast. :(

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

5 is fucking awesome! Looks like he's going right through his stomach... Beautiful shot!

Congrats on this whole thing!

11. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Congrats, great shots

12. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Fantastic!

Living the life...