Packet shaping

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Oct 28, 2003.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

any way to get around packet shaping or are there any download programs that do not download using packet shaping

2. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

anyone?

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Can you be a little more specific? Is it a Packeteer that's doing the shaping? You want more bandwidth for your download?

4. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

my school has a t3 with about 1800 students

i work for IT at school so...
    we have this much bandwidth
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooo

they have implemented a system where all the x's above are for browsing the web and the o's are for packet shaped downloads...web downloading is quick as we get plenty of bandwidth there and i have been told ftp downloading is also quick...now my question is: are there any downloading programs that a packet shaper would not pickup

i don't know what they are using to do the packet shaping...i can find out sometime this week probably

and yes, i am looking for more bandwidth for downloading...and please don't link me to the stickied thread above seeing as there is nothing illegal about my question

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If it is a packeteer (or any other decent solution) your screwed. Packeteers look inside the packet at the actual data, not at the port. They can tell a file transfer from a HTTP transfer, for example. Your only hope would be if you could fool it by encapsulating the transfer into something else that it is not shaping. Simple port swapping won't fool it.