Pacific NorthWest bike crew? v. question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Changed, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

Anybody that lives in the Pacific NorthWest, specifically the Seattle region: What are the best months to ride? I'm from NY and thinking about going to UW for grad school, and was wondering if its possible to ride all-year long?

I know the winter months are the rainy ones, but the temperatures appear to stay above freezing most of the time. Would it be too much of a problem to pick up some rain gear and ride 365???

:wavey:

2. machine81

machine81 New Member

Definitely possible.

Get yourself some warm gloves and a rain suit and you're all set. There are a fair number of people that ride all year long. When I walk the dog in the morning there is an old Kawasaki Concours that drives by me EVERY morning.

To answer your question, yes, the temperatures are usually above freezing all year long. The coldest I've seen it since I've lived out here (2 years) is 19 F.

3. Changed

Changed Guest

:bowdown::bowdown:

Hows the humidity during the summer? Is it even noticable??

4. bradj

bradj give him the stick...DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!!

The humidity is only noticeable when the temp approaches 90F+...which is rare. End of July and August are the hottest, and it probably averages around 70F...there are a few really hot weeks in there, but it'll probably feel great compared to a hot NY summer.

5. bradj

bradj give him the stick...DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!!

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I know several people htat ride year round. But the weather here changes regularly, and is relatively unpredictable. But certaintly, the riding is good during the summer months, with only a couple rain delays.
    Humidity isnt bad, well...comparatively to the east coast its not bad. It rarely gets abot 70% most times.

7. Changed

Changed Guest

God, I cant wait to finish undergrad and get out west. Looks like a beautiful place with plenty of opportunity compared to this shit hole I live in.

8. oakie

oakie my ninja.

you could probably ride 340 a year.

winter brings about frozen roads here, especially in the morning commute.

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Black Ice, FTL. :noes:

10. Changed

Changed Guest

hows the public transportation system??

11. machine81

machine81 New Member

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Also dont forget to look at the Sound Transit system if you plan on doing any traveling outside of Seattle. They provide alot of express busses, and direct link busses to other major cities, so you dont have to bother with hop scotching through the metro bus systems.

Plus they also have the sounder train. And will soon have light rail and monorail facilities up throughout the region.

www.soundtransit.org

Its a complete waste of tax dollars, but at least it works. I used the bus and train system for nearly 2 years. And my mother has been useing it for nearly 6. :eek3:

13. Changed

Changed Guest

14. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

That's pussy shit. Black ice FTW!!

15. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I'm sure you could ride all year long if you wanted to. I packed my scooter up end of Ocober last year, and just had it back on my patio with a cover and battery tender for about 6 months, it was a rainy spring this year. I just hate rain, and have zero desire to ride in it. Even once I upgrade to a "real" bike, I still plan on only riding in the dry. The cold, I can deal with, but I hate being wet and cold.

16. oakie

oakie my ninja.

the what?

we dont have one. seriously. we advertise one, we pay for one, but it is only meant for 9-5'ers. if you work odd hours, it will not be in service or you'll be sharing it with a welfare mom begging you for change and a bum crapping himself in the back.

also, soundtransit relies on park and rides, aka park and thefts. unless you live near enough to one to foot it, you'll still have to ride to ride.

this is a town where public trans ends at 7pm.