GUN PA citizens want tougher gun laws

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Sep 8, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Krott and goatslayer your states going to end up like NJ and NY, you guys better give Philly and surrounding suburbs to Jersey.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/15445418.htm

POLL: PENNSYLVANIANS SUPPORT TOUGH GUN LAWS

* Read Complete Poll (Word, 110K)

A new poll of likely voters in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties conducted by Lake Research Partners (see complete poll here in Word format) shows that suburban Philadelphia voters overwhelmingly support tougher laws to control the availability of guns and reduce gun crime. Support for tougher gun laws cuts across all demographic lines and includes Democrats, independents and Republicans.

KEY FINDINGS

* Over three quarters of suburban voters (76%) support a statewide ban on assault weapons, including 67% who strongly favor a ban, while 22% are opposed (16% strongly). Seventy-nine percent of women and 72% of men favor a statewide assault weapons ban.

* While Democrats (85% favor) and independents (78% favor) are the most intense supporters of an assault weapons ban, two-thirds of Republican voters (67%) also favor banning assault weapons, including 70% of Republican women.

* More than four out of five voters (81%) support a statewide limit on handgun purchases to one gun a month, including 66% strongly. These suburban voters are even more intensely supportive of allowing the City of Philadelphia to enact a one-gun-per-month limit (84% favor, 73% strongly).

* Nearly three quarters of Republican voters support the one-gun-a-month limit (74% favor), along with overwhelming majorities of Democrats (88%) and independents (87%).

* Suburban voters overwhelmingly support a number of additional measures to cut down on guns and gun crime including:
    o Requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen guns within 24 hours or face a fine for unintentional failure to report, or a criminal charge for intentional failure to report (80% favor, 19% oppose).
    o Requiring all police departments in Pennsylvania to trace and report any firearm recovered from a juvenile under 18 who was illegally in possession of the firearm (96% favor, 3% oppose).
    o Reforming the state's gun laws to allow local governments greater control over regulating guns (75% favor, 23% oppose).

* Arguments that cracking down on illegal guns would take away the rights of gun owners do not hold water with suburban voters. Over three quarters of these suburban voters (77%) agree with a statement that "Cracking down on illegal guns, gun runners, and violent criminals who use stolen guns in their crimes is good for everyone in the state, including law-abiding gun owners." Just 20% agree with an opposing statement that "Any time a politician talks about cracking down on guns, their end goal is to take away the rights of gun owners."

* In addition to the findings on gun laws, the poll found that suburban voters strongly support new state funding for a broad range of other measures to reduce crime and violence, including:
    o Creating a low interest loan fund for police agencies to purchase equipment such as bullet-proof vests (90% favor, 10% oppose).
    o Increasing funding for intensive supervision and other resources directed at juvenile offenders (86% favor, 13% oppose).
    o Increasing funding for long-term investments such as quality pre-school care and Head Start that pay off in lower crime over time (83% favor, 17% oppose).
    o Providing more state assistance to local school districts for peer mediation and dispute resolution programs (82% favor, 17% oppose).
    o Funding more grants for local governments to put more police on the street (83% favor, 16% oppose). Over two thirds of voters support grants to put more police on the street "even if it means raising taxes" (69% favor).

DEMOGRAPHICS OF THE POLL

# County: 34% Montgomery, 25% Bucks, 23% Delaware, 19% Chester
    # Party registration: 54% Republican, 37% Democratic, 9% independent
    # Education: 57% college graduates, 20% some college, 23% high school or less
    # Gun ownership: 24% gun owners
    # Race: 88% white, 6% African American, 6% other/refused
    M O R E N E W S F R O M topix.net
    • Philadelphia, PA Metro
    • Pennsylvania
    • US News
    • Philadelphia Metro
    • Pennsylvania Government
    • Discuss Pennsylvania Government
    The Inquirer | Daily News | Sports | Entertainment | Shop Local | Classifieds
    About Philly.com | About the Real Cities Network | Terms of Use & Privacy Statement | Copyright

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Christ, people are so stupid it should physically fucking hurt them.

* Arguments that cracking down on illegal guns would take away the rights of gun owners do not hold water with suburban voters. Over three quarters of these suburban voters (77%) agree with a statement that "Cracking down on illegal guns, gun runners, and violent criminals who use stolen guns in their crimes is good for everyone in the state, including law-abiding gun owners." Just 20% agree with an opposing statement that "Any time a politician talks about cracking down on guns, their end goal is to take away the rights of gun owners."

Yay, more gun laws in addition to over 20,000 fucking federal laws. Let's keep passing laws and keep not giving a shit about punishment of exisisting lawbreakers, outstanding job, representatives, senators. More rhetoric for the completely-unable-to-think-for-themselves.

3. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I don't know what to say. Is gun crime really that bad in Philly? I know in Colorado it's not a big problem at all.

4. Artyboy

If we give the police more excuses to arrest you and punish you then obviously it will stop people from commmitting crimes because they'll get caught way before they get a chance to commit the crime in the first place. It amazes me how many people would WANT us to become a police state.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The brainwashed masses in urban areas fuck it up for everyone else in the state, same thing with NY NYC metro area has most of the population they fuck up the rest of the state, if it wasnt for Westchester County and everything south of it NY would probably be similar to NH and VT in respect to gun laws. Ca? LA, Frisco, Oakland, etc fuck the rest of the state over.

6. Artyboy

:werd: There are too many uneducated dipshits out there that get all of their information from the 9 o'clock news and prime time television. That and no one trusts their neighbor anymore. Admittedly I've lived in my house for a year now and I've probably talked to all of my neighbors a grand total of about 20 minutes combined. That doesn't mean that I'm worried that they'll break into my house and shoot me when I'm sleeping, though. There are way too many people that freak out about that shit these days.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[​IMG]

Just need to cut that little cancer off the lower right side of the state and NY would be good to go. Unfortunently im in that corner :wtc:

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

This shit makes me so tired. It's like we're fighting a losing war.

9. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I think all those polls are bull shit and should never be taken seriously by anyone. I'm sure all the questions are formatted in such a way as to illicit certain responses.

"Would you support a ban on assualt weapons if it were to reduce gun crime? Blah, blah, blah."

"Would you support a ban on handguns if it were to reduce crime?"

No one is going to say no to those types of questions unless they realize what's going on. Joe Citizen is going to think, "Well, if it's going to reduce crime then I'll support it." I'm sure very few people want more crime.

I could make a poll with questions such as, "Would you support stricter gun control if it was to cost you a lot of money in tax dollars and have minimal effect on crime?" And I'm willing to be a get a lot of "support" for not enacting more gun laws.

That reporting stolen guns thing is bull shit, too. "I don't care if you've been out of town the past two weeks, that's unintentional failure to report. The fine will be $750, thanks for letting me rape with you bogus laws."

10. Artyboy

24% of the people interviewed aren't gun owners in the first place. Why would they give a shit that an FFL would have to report a stolen gun immediately? It doesn't affect them in any way shape or form.

11. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

12. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

:werd:

I hate to say this but were going to end with almost no gun rights someday. Within our lifetimes. :wtc:

13. SAG0282

SAG0282 New Member

+1. And these uninformed simpletons molded to their couches are the same freaks that don't vote, so we're square. It's no coincidence that PA has lax gun laws.