GUN P64 safety question...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by krott5333, Mar 20, 2006.

1. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

on the P64, hammer cocked, it seems the safety can be swung about halfway down.. not enough to decock it, but enough to keep the trigger from pulling and dropping the hammer.

Is this a safe way to carry the gun, and was it meant to be like that?

2. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

probably not, you can shoot it DA so why carry it half safe? what if u accidently click it back on "fire" without knowing it. if it was not designed to be carry like that i would not ghetto rig it.

i know it has a horrible DA pull but better be safe then sorry. I like mine otherwise and is in the glove box of my car

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

thats the thing, I'm not sure if it was designed like that. The safety does feel like it hits some resistance though, almost like its meant to..

This gun belongs to a midget, who's weak as fuck.. that, on top of the heaviest damn trigger pull I've ever felt in my life on that DA pull, he doesnt want to carry hammer down, safety off.

4. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

tell him to get a hammerspring off of wolff. It can be found here:

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/WaltherNF.html#PPKS9mm

I put in two of the 18# springs in both of mine, and it helped out a ton, they are actually usable in DA mode now.

It's part # 25818 for the 18# springs and 25816 for the 16# springs. Either will help out ALOT. And if he's stupid, here's a pictoral guide as to how to change it:

http://p64.home.insightbb.com/mods.htm

It literally takes all of 2 minutes to do. And I'm willing to bet that a drunk monkey could do it in less than 5 minutes.

5. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

And no, the gun wasnt designed to be carried like that. Some P-64's have loose safety's that just flop around, others have safety's that you can barely move. Both of mine will barely budge, but I'm sure if I took the time to take them apart and clean the 30something year old oil off it would help a ton.

And if I remember correctly, the heavy ass hammerspring was to help knock a dent into 30-40 year old primers that were hard as a brick. Now primers arent hard as a brick, so lightening the hammer spring wont do anything bad, other than occasionally letting the magazine fall out of the bottom of the gun when you fire the last round. Mine havent done it yet, some peoples have.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:bowdown:

his safety felt pretty good.. my bulgy mak's safety is pretty stiff, but I only use it as a decocker anyway

7. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

i cut some coils off my spring to lower the DA pull a bit, still dent those primers fine.