P4 vs AMD. Video card advice?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Imp4kT, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Imp4kT

Imp4kT New Member

Ok, once and for all, someone who knows what they are talking about, give me some advice for deciding on a processor, im building my own PC, and it will be for gaming mainly, Steam games mostly, CS and CSS, but I dont want to go for the brand new ones, that are way overpriced, and I dont think I would dare get 2 gfx cards as Im no expert at configuring.

And as I am building my own PC with no experience, has anyone any tips? Is it as easy as moving a bit of plastic to get a HD to work as a slave or a DVD-RW?

Currently I have bought a 480W PSW, I decided for a 200GB HD, and will get another if I need to, but I doubt I will, as its mainly for gaming, and I have a DVD drive left over from another PC, but might buy a new one to go with the colour of my new case.

But the main reason I started this thread was so someone could tell me if AMD or P4 will be the best in say, a few months time, as Im not buying right now, and I was wondering if AGP or PCI would be better to go for in the coming months.

Thanks.

2. Imp4kT

Imp4kT New Member

Oh, and I havent bought a motherboard yet, as the processor, gfx card and mobo should be decided together.

3. diranged

diranged New Member

AMD is going to hold the edge for desktop processors for at least another year or two. Even Intel's new processor designs rely on old technology (FSB, Northbridge, etc).

For gaming, AMD has historically been faster than Intel. As long as your not going to spend most of your time doing media encoding, don't even think about Intel.

For an AMD chip, you may want to think about the Athlon X2 4400+ -- its around $550, but you get two cores @ 2.2GHz w/ 1MB L2 cache. I have run that chip against the X2 4800+ and I can tell you that with a decent video card, your gaming will see almost zero difference. Actually as a joke, I downclocked my 4600+ (2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache per core) to 1GHz per core and played HL2 - it still amazed my roomate at how smooth it was. Mainly because most video games at high-res use the video card for rendering more than anything..

That being said, I would suggest the Shuttle SN25P (or SN26P when its out) with an Athlon64 X2 4400+ CPU, 2 1GB Sticks of DDR400 memory, a Western Digital Raptor 74GB drive for your main OS/Games drive, and something like an ATI X800XL or higher video card. That will be a system that you don't need to upgrade for at least 2 years..

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

^ too much to disagree with in above post to actually type. ^

5. c-f0o

c-f0o New Member

1) Its really easy, just screw here and there. But make sure you put everything in the correct slot/way. If you get problems, thats where the fun really begins :hsd: pin pointing which hardware is defected.

2) Make sure its a brand name PSU like Forton or Antec, not some cheap 30$ one. You could always just paint over the drive to save a couple bucks

3) AMD has the edge over P4's in the gaming department. I personally have a P4, but thats because I encode DVD's a lot. PCI-X would be better because its the future and would eventually replace AGP.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

PCI-X will *NEVER* replace AGP. PCI-E will.

PCI-X is 64-bit PCI... *VERY* different.

7. c-f0o

c-f0o New Member

thats what i ment

8. Imp4kT

Imp4kT New Member

I paid 30 GBR pounds for my PSU, but It got nice reviews everywhere I checked..

So 1 person says something, and then the next person says they disagree without saying why, if you are going to reply, at least explain yourself.

Thanks diranged anyway..