GUN P220 Feeding Problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aaron74, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

Since I'm pretty new to this gunning thing, I'm not really sure what could be causing this problem. My SigP220 is brand new. When I first bought it, I oiled it and shot the recomended 200 full-metal jacket breakin' rounds. I don't remember what make they were, but Jim Pruets G/A said that they'd work. And they went as smooth as silk.

Well, I bought a huge box of ammo off line from Cabela's. It was a 1200 count box of 230-Grain FMJ for 280.00$. Well this morning while out at Carters Country I was have a BAD feeding problem. It would fire/eject and then jam up an not chamber the round about every 6-7 rounds it would do so. Yes, the gun is sparkling clean and very oiled. So the only thing I could think of was mabey I had some gritty stuff on the shells. So I started whipping them off before putting them in the clip. That still didn't help.

If I manualy pull the slid back and movie style push it back forward it will run through the clips just fine. But while firing it gums up. I have no ideo what it could be except for maybe a bad recoil spring.

I was reading throught some American Handguners and there was some adds saying there's different recoil spring tensions for different grain ammo's. One article said that a "lighter" spring should be used for small grain practice rounds. And I "heavier" spring should be used for full house factory loads!, Like my 230 grains maybe?? It said also keeping a heavier springs in at all times would help improve feeding and reliablity.

So if anyone has anything to help me out i'd really appriciate it. I'm kinda fucked around here. I don't want to go by a new set of springs and have to keeping changing until something might get better if the spring isn't my problem. So, thanks for taking the time to read and help me out. I'm just kinda upset my baby is having these problems..

Thanks A LOT,
    Aaron Lonergan

2. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

It might be due to your shooting technique. I am also in Houston and if you want to go shooting I'll see what I can see. It isn't your recoil spring. The 220 can shoot any load you throw at it.

3. ryanbum

Oh and I have a box of S&B 230gr FMJ's in my car so you can check to see if the specific ammo is the problem.

4. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I've shot plenty of hand guns and I have never had any problems with Tech. I'm a pretty good shot. Just this thing is just giving me problems.

I'll probably be going again next weekend if you want to meet up saturday morning.

5. ryanbum

ASC?

6. shohan

shohan New Member

Hmm..I've never had this problem with my 220, but mine isn't a brand new one. Well, if your 220 is brand new I wouldn't worry about the recoil spring. The new ones have a 24# spring that's good to go for even +P rounds. If you've shot 'plenty of hand guns' as you say then I doubt your limp wristing. I don't believe the 220 suffers from limp wristing as a 1911 does, but it's something to keep in mind.

Check your magazines. Perhaps the slide isn't picking up the next round right. Your best bet, honestly, is to post this same question to the people of Sig Forum. They have a lot of experienced people.

7. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I just got back from Jim Pruets GnA and after a good inspection it turned out I had a bent lip on the clip. They said when the clip is full there's more spring tension to kinda look past the lip because it's loaded down. But at the last round or two there's much less spring tension on well used/ old clips and that could easily cause it to jam like it did. So 32.00$ later I've got a new clip. I'm pretty confident that will fix my problem. I'll find out tomorrow morning.

Ryan: I live in the 290/Gesner area if that's what you're asking. :)

8. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

magazine, not clip

9. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

:mamoru:

10. shohan

shohan New Member

Definately check out EBay for magazines I won a dutch auction on 2 Mec-Gar 7 round mags for my 220 and paid ~$28 w/ shipping! They work great and disassemble much easier then my factory. Have fun with it!

11. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I don't have digital camera yet. But if you want to see the gun
    ( I have the figure grove hogue grip though)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry...magazine...lol :0

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If only SIG made a Leftie model. Love the gun, but I can't reach controls with my index finger.:(

13. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

Can't SIG convert it for you? :confused:

14. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I'm pretty sure if you contacted someone at sig, they could do it for you.

15. shohan

shohan New Member

The mag catch can be switched for left handed users, however, the other controls, decocker and slide release, can not be switched.

16. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

Ain't that a bitch.

17. Henry47

Henry47 New Member

the serial number start w/ G34 or g35? there is a known extractor problem with most of the new sig p220's. if you look at sigforum.com, you will read A LOT of threads regarding the p220 and the extractor problems. This problem alone has made me stay away from the sig p220.

18. Henry47

Henry47 New Member

o yea, if u send to sig, they will fix it but they will not reimburse you for shipping, instead they will send you two new mags. i'd rather have my shipping reimbursed.

19. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I would get one if they could do it for a reasonable price

20. shohan

shohan New Member

So find a 220 with a lower S/N. Mine starts G148XXX and I haven't had a single problem. Overall I'm very happy with it despite it being an older model.