GUN P22 Slide Gouging

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Nov 8, 2007.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

[​IMG]

This normal for P22s? It's hard to see because my camera hates taking close-ups. About 1,500 rds. total through the gun.

2. AustinL911

After some research, I found that it's a common problem caused by the trigger bar ears digging into the soft slide. Filing down the edges of the ears will help prevent this.

Supposedly though, if you let it wear enough (and by enough, I mean A LOT), the gun will go full auto. lol. Sounds fun. Illegal, but still fun. :)

I'll be the good little citizen though, and file them down, I suppose. Still kinda pisses me off that it did it though.

3. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

How do you like the gun? I'm thinking about buying one...

4. AustinL911

Problems I've encountered:

-I paid waaaay too much. Impulse buy @ Gander Mt.

- Failure to feed consistantly for the first couple hundred rounds. I attribute this to there being a sharp edge between the top of the feed ramp, and the bottom of the barrel. After it broke in though, it was a non-issue.

-Finding ammo it liked. I've only tried 3 so far. Winchester bulk, Remington bulk, and Federal bulk. It hates the Remington. Doesn't care for the Winchesters. And loves the Federals. I think each one is different. Everyone I talk to has a preferred favorite.

-This little slide issue, which turns out to not really be an issue at all. Had I done my homework before firing/buying it, it could have been prevented. Though, from what I've read, it won't hurt anything, just my pride.

Other than that, it's been a GREAT little plinker. I always take it to the range with me when I go. The cheap practice is great. And it's fun as hell to shoot. Eventual plans includes a GemTech Outback for it. :x: Then the real fun begins.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yeah I'd file it down before it starts slam firing on you. It may sound fun but it can be pretty scary if you aren't expecting it.

We had a post sample M9 go off when we chambered the first round. Luckily there was a FTE after a couple rounds.

6. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

I've been thinking of getting one just as a fun plinker with cheap ammo...Sounds like it might fit the bill. IIRC, they go for under $300?

7. AustinL911

All day long. I paid $399 for a nickel slide version. Did it because I was too impatient to wait for someone other than Gander Mt. to get one in. Ah well. It's worth it.

8. Dim

Dim I'm Lost, Help Me OT Supporter

Love my p22. I did a bunch of research about all the quirks but so far it has been flawless. Feeds any ammo, including buckshot without a hiccup. Paid $230 brand new which I thought was pretty slick. One of the most fun guns I have.

9. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

$230? I'd grab one right now at that price :)
    Is there a recommended place online to find these at a great price? I live in CA if that matters.

10. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

Is that Bay Area CA that you paid 230 new? If so that's a hell of a price in CA.

11. Furner

Furner New Member

If you take it new out of the box and clean up the internals, it will run ALOT easier. i bought a used one once, and it ran really well with any cheap ammo i used it it after i cleaned up the rough spots, and rounded the tip of the hammer a little. i think the new ones now have the hammer rounded out a bit already. you can do a little more if it has a hard time cycling against the hammer.