A&P P&S advice

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 4W4K3, Jul 31, 2007.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Looking for a new cam, lost my trusty Exilim and want to upgrade now.

I cannot afford the very nice $600-800 DSLR "pro" cameras, too advanced for me anyways. What I'm looking for is a fixed lens DSLR of "lower" quality, budget of $200-300.

It doesn't HAVE to be fixed lens, but in that price range I think it will be. My only REAL stipulation is it HAS to use a lithium-ion battery. I DO NOT want to have to buy AA or AAA batteries and replace them all the time. Got to be the lithium type I can plug in and charge, etc.

So far I've only found this one - http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz8k/4507-6501_7-32332746.html?tag=sub
    Opinions?

Open to many mroe possibilities in my price range. :bigthumb:

2. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

That's coz you're thinking alkaline AA batteries. But how is a rechargeable lithium ion battery any different than a rechargeable NiMH AA/AAA batteries? :dunno:

I use rechargeable AA batteries on my S3 Pro and flashes and it's done charging in 15 minutes. My Li-ion battery on my D50 takes 3 hours to fully charge!

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I figured they lasted longer? With my Exilim I could take 200-300 pictures and still have half my battery left.

I've only ever used alkaline batteries, and they suck shit. My GF's digicam eats them, they only last maybe 100 pics with flash.

4. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

rechargeable NiMH lasts just as long as the Li-ion ones. Stay away from alkalines which are only good for remote controls to your TV.

Anyway, the Canon Powershot S3 seems to be getting rave reviews. ~$300. Check it out.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Okie dokie, I suppose rechargable NiMH's would work for me as well. I'll consider those since it also broadens my choices. Not many are offered with Li-on.

#1 Fujifilm Finepix S700 7MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom
    (Free 2GB SD card AND Free Shipping) - $206
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9774434-4344759?ie=UTF8&qid=1185865496&sr=1-5

#2 Panasonic DMC-FZ7 6MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black) - $250
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...344759?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1185864359&sr=1-17

#3 Canon PowerShot Pro Series S3 IS 6MP with 12x Image Stabilized Zoom
    (Free shipping AND Free NiMH batteries (4) and charger) - $312
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Image-Stabilized-Zoom/dp/B000EMWBV0

There we have it. Convince me to get one please. They all seem good, I simply can't decide!

The Panasonic has an interchangable lens I believe. Do the others? That is a big plus to me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well fuck it.

I want the NiMH batteries now. Seems more versatile than a charger and only 1 battery, I can buy them everywhere and keep going, etc.

I also want the extra zoom, so the 10X is out. I am greedy...I want all the zoom I can get :p

The "Steves Digicam" review I read on the S700 seemed OK. It's obvious it was more oriented to beginners though. It had some image quality issues and overall lacked a few manual features/advanced features. I figure if I'm goin to shell out ~$200 I want a camera I can use for a while and no feel like I need to upgrade soon. Plus, I don't think the lens is interchangable at all. Boo.

The Canon S3 IS has the 12X zoom, the best image stabilization, the most features, upgradable lens, and the best image quality. I guess I'll just have to cough up the money lol.

I believe I already have a 2GB SD card too. yay.

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

canon s3 :dunno:

8. bntboz

bntboz ACME user text OT Supporter

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

if its got a fixed lens its not a dslr

10. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I renamed the title... you're not asking about DSLR's.

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Thanks. I figured it wasn't a true DSLR being so cheap lol, I just wanted something that was the same "style". Not those super-compact bar looking point and shoots.

12. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

seriously look at the sony lineup, DSC-H whatever.. i have the DSC-H1.. its a great camera.. they have some sick ones.. let me get you some links

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H5/H5A.HTM

the DSC-H5 is in your pricerange.. 7.2 MP, 12x optical zoom, the sony interface/controls are so easy to work with, you wont be dissapointed.

13. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

i would go wit the S3 IS!

as far as the battery subject has been brought up. get good rechargables. ceap ones can suck just as much as cheap alkaline. also, if you use alkalines...you good ones. there is a difference.

14. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I bought the s3is for my wife. it's a great little camera

15. bntboz

bntboz ACME user text OT Supporter

I have the S1 IS and the batteries last a while if you use the viewfinder rather than the LCD screen to take pics. That will also help you when you get a DSLR.

Use rechargable NiMH batteries, not regular AA batteries.

16. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

with aa batteries, you can buy lithium ones from energizer that last a long time as well, but you can't recharge them.

17. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'd get the S3 IS and a set of Eneloop rechargable batteries.

The S3 is $297 on amazon right now, with free shipping, and the eneloops are so much better than any other lithium i've ever used that they're worth twice what they cost.