Oxidation and Rock Chips.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Branislav, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Branislav

Branislav orly?

I just purchased a honda prelude that needs some repaint on areas of the car, but trying to avoid this. The spoiler is oxidized to CRAP, and ONLY the spoiler also......kinda strange, a little bit on the roof too, but there isnt much exposed to the roof seeing as how there is a sun roof and whatnot.

MY buddy details his cars and shit so hes got a couple products, he says meguiars color X will help my spoiler alot...is this true? what else can i do to help get rid of the oxidation.

Also, on the hood and sideskirts there is plenty of rock chips, alot, whats a way to sort of "mask" this....its not apparent at all from 5 feet away, but when u look close its really bad.

Let me know some tips and tricks if possible, thanks alot:hsd:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  2. Branislav

Branislav orly?

Oh and the car is a 1998 san marino red Honda Prelude type SH.

3. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Probably aftermarket spoiler... I see this a lot. ColorX is a chemcial abrasive made for oxidization, and it might work, depending on how bad it is. Could need an agressive polish.

As for the rock chips, a proper touch up paint and doing it properly (ie not using the shitty brush inside, proper prep, etc) will help on the large spots to make it not so noticeable if you are just looking to do that.

4. Branislav

Branislav orly?

It is not a aftermarket spoiler it is the factory spoiler because the spoiler has the third brake light built into it, its not in the middle bottom behind the windshield. I will do the color X today at my buddies and if that doesnt work later on we're going to get our hands on a porter cable and see if that helps.

The rock chips are so small and plenti full i honestly dont think touch up paint can hide it.

My friend has this whole detailing list for my car consistent of like 7 things to do so i hope it looks alot nicer after it, we will take pictures.

5. XPX

XPX New Member

you can't mask rock chips, depending on how deep those are you are looking to maybe no paint in that spot so there is nothing for you to do but save and get it repainted in a good shop. Oxidised paint can be worked on to get decent results, I used to think my car's paint was horrible buta professional detailer (like Scottwax) worked on it with a bunch of 3M products (very thin rubbing compunds, polishes and wax) and a professional PC and the car looks fucking great now, the rock chips are still there but the rest of the car shines and looks CLEAN. Try that first.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Even a factory spoiler isn't usually painted on the same line as the car and the material is different so the paint reacts differently to it than the metal.

ColorX is a great OTC oxidation remover. It also leaves behind protection as well. I'd go ahead and polish the whole car with it and then apply either Meguiars NXT or #26 High Tech Yellow Wax (which has a very wet glow on re d paint). Short of repainting, I don't think you have any other good options. Maybe you can find a red marker that matches the paint and just use that.

7. Branislav

Branislav orly?

Ok, this is what we did.

Washed it with meguiars car wash soap, dryed it with a leaf blower(nice little trick), claybarred it, used NXT qwik detailer or whatever, and color X'd some parts, and then used NXT was sealant all over the whole car, and stonars window cleaner.

i dont think this car has looked this good, ever.

8. Branislav

Branislav orly?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big improvement, this thing hasnt been as clean as it sits now, and this is probaby true, since it rolled out the factory.

Im hoping for a slight improvement every weekend:x:

And the color X worked MAGIC, MAGIC on my spoiler.

9. Scottwax

Looks pretty good! NXT has a pretty good wet shine, should bead at least a few months too.

Now it is time to get serious and get a PC, pads and some Optimum Polish. ;)

10. Branislav

Branislav orly?

my buddy is picking up a PC in a couple weeks or so.....were in trouble when that happens :bigok:

11. Branislav

Branislav orly?

Thank's for all your suggestions and tips too, greatly appreciated.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Looks schweet, I want it!

13. Branislav

Branislav orly?

[​IMG]

not bad.

14. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Where in So Cal?

15. Branislav

Branislav orly?

irvine.

16. Scottwax

If you belong to a car club, you can probably schedule a detailing day at Meguiars. Check the scheduling forum at http://meguiarsonline.com