OWC Enclosure Trouble

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tvan, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Tvan

Tvan New Member

About eighteen months ago I purchased a dual firewire 800 enclosure from OWC and put two 500gb hard drives in it for backup and other storage. It had been running flawlessly until about a month ago, when it started making a strange noise somewhere between a squeak and a hiss. So I stopped using it for a while and today got around to taking it apart and cleaning it out.

There wasn't anything noticeable inside, everything looks to be in order. Now, when i plug it back in and turn it on the fan spins, but the power LED is off and neither of the hard drives spin. I've tested each hard drive individually in my other enclosure and both are working fine, so it looks like some part of the control board has failed.

Does anyone have any experience with OWC and warranties on their products? The website states that the warranty is only good for one year. :wtc:

2. itchypony

itchypony New Member

Have you tried contacting them about it? I've had good luck with OWC so far. I bought an 80GB external HD from them a few years ago and just recently upgraded the HD to a 750GB. I talked to a real person about what would be compatible with the existing enclosure.

3. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Not yet, I'm going to shoot them an email later to see what they think I should do.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

OWC customer support is awesome. Give them a call or email them and I'm sure they'll take care of you.