Overspray on glass and debading

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by [DWI], Nov 23, 2005.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Cliffs at bottom cause I talk too much.

Ok, there are a couple things I told my GF I'd consider doing for her, but I need a little help.

First, she had somebody work done a few months back (to the truck not her) and it seems that the front windshield was poorly masked, anyways it seems that there is some overspray from the paintwork on the windscreen, standard GM automotive paint. Anyways if this was on paint or trim work, I'd try polishing and rubbing compounds, clay bars ect, but since this is on glass that you will be looking through for the life of the truck I don't want to leave swirls or worse. So what is the best way to go about doing this and where can I purchase the materials.

Secondly she has always said she has wanted to get rid of all the badges on the Truck. But its a Silverado Duramaxx 2500HD, so there are alot of badges and they are BIG. Now I have always debadged cars that I have owned. Anyways most of these were just labor intensive, fishing line, fingernail picking, and goo gone. However the last one I did was a Dodge Cummins RAM 3500 4x4 heavy duty laramie (and it had a darn badge for everyone of those things) anyways I am positive that the heavy duty refered to the double sided tape used on the badges stuck to the truck like a PITA. Anyone I have talked to who has done thier own debadging seems to be an idiot using things like turpintine to disolve the remaining double sided tape and adhesive, but it hazed the finish and made even more work. So basically do any of you have a simple was to remove the badging and backing, and products to use. Also on this one, if there is sun fading is there a way to easily blend it from the behind the badges into the faded regions of the truck, w/o detailing the whole thing? (I don't feel like detailing a quad cab long bed)

Cliffs: what is the easiest way to remove overspray from a windshield w/o swirls scratches blurryness ect? And two what is the easiest way to remove badges, the remainder of thier backing and adhesives?

thanks guys

2. rogue3000

rogue3000 New Member

From reading your CF's:

To remove a badge, use a hairdryer to heat the badge up quite a bit. then get some dental floss or fishing line, and slide it back and forth behind the badge in a sawing motion, not applying too much pressure. After you get the badge off, if you can't remove the excess adhesive residue, use some Goo Gone, it'll work like a charm. Good luck.

3. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

or 3m adheisive remover

4. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

There was some overspray on a ford 500's window that I did a few weeks ago, I just sprayed it down with window cleaner and scraped it off with a razor blade.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I do the same. I also slightly round the edges of the blade to make sure there aren't high spots which can scratch the glass.

rouge3000 is exactly right about the debadging.