Overpresenting At Clubs

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Dio Seijuro, May 20, 2008.

1. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

I am in a relationship, so this doesn't apply to me much, but I have several friends who seem to do this and I am just curious. Plus, I think most people do this to a certain degree anyway.

The question is, do you generally expect people to overpresent themselves at clubs? For example, if somebody is clad in designer clothes, do you assume they can afford a luxurious lifestyle overall?

Some of my friends are very good at overpresenting themselves, so that when they go to clubs, they look a lot richer, attractive, or powerful than they really are. They rarely pick up girls, but I am wondering how it works out when they do pick up some girls, and they get to their place or even just their car and find out that it doesn't really measure up. I mean, do people expect this to be generally the case or are people constantly surprised by this sort of masquerading?

The way some people dress and act at a club, you would think they make 100K+ a year and is some hot shot, go on cruises all the time or drop $50 on expensive dinners everyday. Whereas the truth is they make 50k and is too cheap to pay for a date's dinner. What's up with that? I guess it's all about feeling like you are somebody you wish you are, for a couple hours.

2. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I find when I go out to parties, bars, and clubs. Everyone is dressing the same, all of the guys and girls look the similar. I don't think you should be able to judge someone's true wealth based on what they are wearing. Heck I have friends who make tons of money each year, but you would never know it because of the way they live.

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I dress like a bum most of the time...even when I go to the club. Just enough to get by with the dress code. I think that even IF I made a ton of money I'd probably dress the same. My 2 for 50 jeans at pac sun wear just as good as any pair of designer jeans...and T-Shirts are just comfortable. Same goes for cargo shorts. :hsd:

4. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I do high end dining, so i've become VERY good at determining how much money people have to spend. I find most people with a lot of disposable income don't waste it on designer stuff (this doesn't count for say, wives who are wealthy because of someone elses labor) but more on subtle, but well made pieces. I look at accessories, and signs of upkeep (manicures, nice haircuts, good taste in liquors) more than obvious shit like designer jeans.

5. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Stereotyping is a no-no. Passing judgement too quickly is a no-no-no.

6. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

Very good point. I notice that too.

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

No.

In fact, some people rent Porsches just for the weekend so they can look like ballers when they get to/leave the club.

Generally you can't tell how much money someone has from looking at them. Upper-middle class people don't usually look like ballers. They are extremely frugal coupon-clippers who shop at discount stores.

Truly wealthy people don't usually appear in public so you probably won't see them, anyway.

A lot of lower-middle class people and lower class people try to get nicer things so other people think they are rich. A lot of people you see driving 3 series BMWs are living paycheck to paycheck and cannot really afford their cars. This is called being "hood rich" (among other, less PC things).

Generally people who are financially competent won't have "nice" things. I think they said most millionaires drive a 9 year old used car, for example. Read the book "the Millionaire Next Door" if you want to learn more about how much people with a high net worth spend.

8. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

LOL.... drinks are a good way.... no one but the person drinking it knows the difference.... so if you see someone ordering the top shelf cause thats what they like then they might have $$$ to waste. I do that shit cause i like the better liquors. Im not rich but i do well. So i guess that shoots your idea down.

9. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

I have. And I would recommend Richistan if you liked that book. :)

10. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

For once Falconer hits what i believe to be true.... People driving the Chrysler 300C with 24'' rims and a homo paint job live at home i bet. Love to laugh at that. Seeing the "hood rich" people driving them. its got stock rims its a white dude if its got 24s its probably a black dude.... 95% correct all the time.... check it

11. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

Ok I think by now we all agree that some people do try to look richer than they really are when going to clubs. The friends I mentioned fall into this category. I guess my question now then is, what does this accomplish? What are they thinking about when doing this. Just attention? Attention from what sort of people anyways? Since I can see that some of you guys would react in the opposite of "impressed" upon seeing these overcompensating travesty, is it safe to assume then that the people who actually get impressed by this are not seeing things clearly? Are other poseurs themselves?

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

:roflwtf:

13. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

That guy catches my eye any day over the dude overdressed wearing some $100 button-up, designer jeans and freshly-polished overpriced shoes. I love when my guy dresses down.

14. Socrates

Socrates New Member

It usually doesn't matter where I'm going, I still just wear my blue jeans, regular ass t-shirt, and my tennis shoes.

As long as they all fit well, are clean, relatively matching colors, and my personal hygiene is clean, I couldn't care any less.

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Please to translate into the Queen's English?

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

thanks. i though "mad" was an adverb describing the verb "to dog" and i didnt know what that meant. now i realize "mad dog" is the verb, and i know what it means.

:big grin:

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

L.A. and Miami are so lame like that. In SLO you can go to the clubs in jeans and flip flops :mamoru:

18. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

"dogging" itself works the same way. :mamoru:

19. Funklordtoejam

Funklordtoejam New Member

This is why I'd much rather stay at home and play video games or something with my friends...it's much more fun and much less hassle. And the liquor is cheaper too.

20. razi

razi New Member

Mad Dog means cheap hooch for me.

as for dressing up... it's all about appearance. appearance with no substance, most of the time.