Overheating Vid Card?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trez157, May 26, 2007.

1. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

If a vid card overheats, what kind of symptoms will it present? I have an 8600, and last night it started acting up. Im assuming it was the card, as my monitor would get all crazy. I would just get a bunch of vertical lines on my monitor, and if i pushed alt F4, the screen would change colors. The colors would be of what was on my screen, nothing crazy or anything. Nothing is OCed either.

2. Create

Create :free at last:

If you get vertical or horizontal lines it could be a connection issue. Clean all connections first.

If that's not it, you're probably right that the video card is overheating. You may see other seemingly random, but more common as the card gets hotter, visual "artifacts".

Either use the warranty or buy an aftermarket fan to replace the existing one on the video card.

3. trez157

Ill use the warranty, I just built this rig less than a month ago. The only thing I could think of other than the vid card would be the monitor. I just recently bout a Q20wb to replace my 906BW. Is there a chance it's the monitor itself, if you say it's a connection issue?

4. trez157

I switched back to my 19, and so far, we're still good. I'll try and tighten connections with the 20 in a bit, to see if that will solve the issue, if not, then it's going back to Newegg.

5. trez157

after further review, it needs to be returned, everything is on tight, and it will go crazy after a while. Ill turn it off and back on and its fine, so its internal.

lols, I was talking about the bigger monitor here, not the card. my bad.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  6. Create

Since it's taking time to display the artifacts and it does not matter which monitor you use: It's the video card. 99.99% sure.

Just FYI, those 8xxx cards do generate alot of heat. On the next card consider an aftermarket fan, physical space permitting.

Nice instincts, btw :)

7. trez157

O no, it's only the bigger monitor that does it. The 906 has been running fine since I set it back up. And yea, I have a fan blowing right on the vid card because of the way the case is setup. Hopefully it's enough, hasn't given me a problem yet.

8. Create

If it's only one monitor, did you try changing the refresh rate? The card's default setting may just be a tad off the monitor requirement.

9. trez157

would that make it go crazy like it does? Ill give it a shot later

10. DweeLer

DweeLer New Member

download Everest Home Edition and install that.

tells you all you need to know about your computer like what all is in it, the temps of your CPU/Vid Card/hard drives....