Overheating Laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sleepy71, Oct 7, 2004.

1. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I've got a Toshiba Satellite 1805 laptop. It shuts off on occasion, and it seems to be due to overheating. What can I do to prevent overheating? Are there any hardware settings that I can change to keep something from running too hot?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2004
  2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I think this is a know issue with those laptops. I was talking with someone the other day about it. His company had to replace a bunch (about 400) toshiba laptops because of an overheating issue. You might want to check their website and google around for more info.

3. I have a Satellite 1955-S801 (I think.. it's the 16" screen model). I had the same problem. It would happen everytime I played a highly graphic intense game, within 5 minutes it'd just turn off.

I shipped it off to Toshiba (took it back to CompUSA) and they cleaned the processor area and fan area. Since they "cleaned" it, I've NEVER had a problem. I guess something they did in assembly may have been causing dust to build up... you know the stuff you put between a processor and heatsink to make it stick together and transfer heat? that gooey glue type stuff? maybe that overflowed during the assembly and trapped a bunch of dust.

anyways, if it's under warranty, take it back, tell them what's wrong, they'll ship it off to Toshiba and fix it. It's definitely a reocurring thing with Toshiba laptops, but mine's been fixed now for almost 2 years and perfectly fine.

4. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I'll look into that one. Thanks for the help.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

funny this thread is here now, because I just had a laptop (toshiba) come into the shop today because it was overheating...

6. EffBeeEye

EffBeeEye New Member

Yea I have an HP ze5200 that I got and it does the exact same thing. After a good 5 minutes or so of a game, it just shuts off and is burning hot. And this is even while its propped up on some books. Problem is now the warranty just went up, so to reiterate the question from before, its there any type of software that could maybe "underclock" the processor??

Thanks for the help,
    John

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Not perminantly, or while doing anything cpu intensive, the only one I know of it called CPU cool, and it will drop your speed when there's nothing using the cpu, otherwise, if the system calls for full power, it will give you full power.

8. Dαzzα

Dαzzα Guest

9. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

you know, i had the same problem with my compaq, until one day it just magically went away :ugh::dunno:

10. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

and? What'd you do to fix it? Or, what ARE you planning to do to fix it?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I replaced the fan. duh :p