Overheating issues?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by seatmech83, Feb 1, 2006.

1. seatmech83

seatmech83 New Member

A friend of mine gave up on his alienware pc when he got his new laptop. It had been having problems that the desktop would show graphical errors like lines accross the screen and he would hear a loud whining from the case. I've isolated the whining to the fan on top of the cpu heatsink so i'm assuming its taking a crap. I cleaned out everything and it had sat for a good month before I got a hold of it and ran it and everything seemed to run good for a day. So I got up this morning and it was running good and it just shut down. Tried to turn it back on and it takes a while to load and then it gets the lines and stuff across the screen. I thought it might be the graphics card, it has an older Radeon 128mb agp card in it but i'm thinking it might just need a new heatsink/fan on the cpu? I'm really not sure what to do with it yet. I might just try a new heatsink fan and see how that goes. It worked great for a day then it just up and let go so i'm leaning towards a cooling issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. grkgus

grkgus New Member

download Speedfan...its a freeware program to tell you the temps...when it turned off, where you running anything intensive....it could be your ram...random shutdowns are often caused by ram...also make sure you get thermal paste with your new heatsink...swap out ram first and download that program to see your temps...anything higher then 60-65C then your heatsink is not doing a good job and you should replace it..it might just need thermal paste though if it is in an old computer...

3. seatmech83

seatmech83 New Member

Swapped RAM with known good RAM and still the same thing. I think its just getting hot but I can't get that program on untill this thing cools off for a few days I guess. Then i'll try to get some numbers. Its gotta be a heat issue.