overhead squats considered active recovery?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by timberwolf, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I do legs already on mondays(heavy) and fridays(volume/ medium).
    I enjoy doing overheads so I fit it in on wednesdays when I do cardio.
    Considering the weight I'm using would be no heavier than 185lbs for 3 reps if that, could this be considered a form of active recovery or at least a light day?

2. RunDMT

RunDMT OT Supporter

For me, I feel that weight and lifting tempo more important for active recovery than exercise selection. I use low weights with fast eccentric and medium concentric to get the blood flowing in there. The exercises don't seem to make much difference as long as the muscle receives some blood flow.

3. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Overhead squats are great for core development and balance too.

Hell I have trouble with anything higher than 95lbs. I tried using 135 after my normal squat routine and could only do a few reps before I thought I was going to topple over.

But if I was going to be doing active recovery I'd do overhead or front squats with light weights for high reps to get some blood flowing into the area.

4. MP18

MP18 New Member

I do a similar rountine, heavy on mon and fri and wed i do overhead squats for some active recovery, theyre good cause you have to go lighter and are a good change for me from front and back squats, plus it helps with squat snatches.

Timber, do you do any snatches or just overhead squats by themselves?

5. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I only did snatches with dumbells. Usually the overheads I do by themselves from a rack.

6. MP18

MP18 New Member

regardless, thats a really strong core you've got man, i heard you did overheads with 235 lb :eek3: ....the most ive done is 80 kilos, and that was after a snatch, id say my overhead squat is my weakest link for that lift

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Thanks. It was last april I did it...
    I would do it in the rack and set safety pins to a certain level where my legs were just above parallel when going heavy. I'm wondering though if that wasn't the main contributor to my problems with the rotators. Bill Starr said something to the effect that overhead movements should strengthen the rotators...

8. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

Overhead variations do a lot for stabilization in the cuff complex as well as improving flexability.

As far as where they go in a routine....it kind of depends on the focus of the routine. I use an olympic warm up for my heavy days that looks something like this:

O/h squat with a pause x10
    O/H squat no pause x 10
    Snatch Escapes (drop squats) x 10
    no hands front squat x 10
    explosive RDL x 10

and I progress through it without stopping usually twice. I use light weight (about 95-135 pounds)

I don't do much heavy OH squatting because I still actively train the snatch with is effectively the same movement. As far as the original question about using them for AR, I would say definately not. Find a place in your heavy day for them, either as a warm up or as a supplement.

If you are looking for other ways to build coordination, flexability and balance under a load there are countless exercises you can do other than OH squats. I used to have an extra workout I would do 2x a week, usually after my DE days that looked like this:

OH Squats x 15
    Kettlebell swing throughs x 15
    Sott Press x 15
    Press From Snatch Balance x15
    OH Walking Lunges with OH shrug hold 2x10

mostly done with like 135-185 on the bar and the swings with heavy KB's, takes about 10 minutes if you rest 60 seconds between lifts.

also one handed barbell snatch into a windmill is one of my favorite all time exercises, it will eat a well trained person alive.

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Thanks for your input GNP.
    By the way, what weight kettlebells do you have?

10. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

the gym I used to go to and still go once in a while has them from 10 # through 70#

I have a friend who is extremly good at non traditional methods who trains a lot of local athletes. He is also a welder and makes all of his own equipment. He made the kettlebells for that gym, and I am working with him now getting a website up so that people can buy all kinds of crazy strongman and old school implements for a decent price. People shouldn't have to pay 300 dollars for one set of fucking kettlebells.

11. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I was about to say they're damn expensive.

12. tize

tize Guest

my gym has them what what

i do curls wit em :bigthumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2005
  13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Never tried them yet though I'd like to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.