Overcoming personal hang-ups for new Mac users (an essay)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

A lot of new people are getting a Mac for the first time, and they are used to doing things a certain way. This can be a great source of frustration when they resist adopting the Apple Way (TM). Well, I believe that a big part of enjoying the Mac experience comes from accepting the Apple Way (TM) of doing things, even if it is a little awkward at first.

A major theme (in my experience) in the difference between typical Windows software and typical Apple software is that Apple assumes a lot of responsibilities that would otherwise fall on the user. New Mac users are often uncomfortable with the perceived lack of control and view this policy as unnecessary hand-holding. Extreme cases of this mentality feel like an operating system isn't "powerful" unless relatively straightforward tasks require vast amounts of arcane knowledge and experience. For some people, programs having an options window with 50 checkboxes (or better yet, dotfiles!) make them feel like a real super-user. They hate "simple".

One common hang-up for new Mac users has to do with the way applications like iTunes and iPhoto are designed to assume responsibility for the backend file system. Windows users are often used to maintaining their own file organization, and instructing their media applications to monitor certain folders to detect changes to the files. The Apple Way (TM), on the other hand, is to present the media (be it movies, pictures, music, whatever) in a meta-Library. This is (in part) to discourage bad habits such as storing meta data in the filename of an MP3 rather than the ID3 tags where it belongs. Also, some users (my parents in particular :o ) simply don't have well-thought-out organization schemes, and end up with hundreds of folders of photos, many redundant, stored in dozens of different locations in the file system.

Now, there are a lot of artificial limitations inherent in using Apple software exactly the way Steve Jobs intends. Some of these may in fact be deal-breakers for a minority of users. However, I think the Apple Way (TM) will meet the needs of most people and for those who are willing to give up a degree of perceived control, they will grow very fond of the simplicity and consistency of many Mac applications.

cliffs: I'm avoiding work by writing Mac propaganda :wavey:

2. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

you hit the nail right on the head, and the only thing i have to add to that is: when using a program for the first time, READ THE PREFERENCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 times out of 10 you can adjust a program to do/perform EXACTLY what/how you want it to

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

for example, enabling tabs in Safari. :mamoru:

4. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Wow, that described me on the dot. I had such a good "system" to storing pictures :o :hs:

5. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

dont get me started, lol fucking guys :o

6. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

how bout we start with something simple, like cut and pasting files/folders in OSX? how the FUCK do i cut and paste a frickin folder. how could i NOT be able to do this? it's such a basic feature and i, and probably a gazillion other people, use it on a daily basis. its a feature thats been taken for granted, how come its not available in OSX?

7. Euclid

Euclid New Member

It's really a good question, and hard to say why they decided against adopting this Windows convention because (like you said) it is very popular. One of the basic principles of the Mac is how mouse-centric it is. I use keyboard shortcuts a lot, but there are some things that you really need to use the mouse for in OS X.

PS, it looks like someone made a script for Finder cut and paste
    http://ilari.scheinin.fidisk.fi/findercutandpaste/

There are a couple of things that make moving files / folders around with the mouse a little easier in OS X. One of course is expose, you can use F9 to see all of the open windows and drag and drop (I mean, click-drag a file, then F9, then drop it on the target window). The other thing is spring-loaded folders, this is where you are click-dragging a folder but the destination finder window isn't open, you can hover the mouse over a folder for a second and it will temporarily pop open -- you can drill down through many levels of subfolders this way. Putting them together, you click-drag the source folder / file / selection, then hit F11 to view the desktop, then hover over your hard drive and drill down to the destination using spring-loaded folders.

8. skolen

skolen Guest

I've had my Mac for almost 2yrs now and I still find myself clinching to Windows ways.

The biggest reason is when you use Windows you eventually learn not to keep anything you value on the same drive as Windows. One crash or day Windows decides it no longer wants to find boot files is all you need before you find your stuff gone (assuming you don't backup or have an ext drive to recover the dead one from on another computer).

So forever I have kept my stuff on a separate partition/drive. When I got my Mac it went the same way since I just couldn't trust the OS yet (much like a rape victim). Eventually I let it take control of some safe stuff like Photos, then I started saving to the Documents folder, the movies and music. The only thing I don't let it keep are my freelance & personal art work. That's on a separate drive.

9. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

:rofl: i like the reference to rape victims

10. UpPy

UpPy Guest

You guys are getting me scared.I'm fairly new to computers (3yrs) & I've learned on my laptop with XP...I just bought a IMac on E-buy & I've heard "How user friendly" Mac's are...now I'm not so sure it's going to be as simple as I was told.Don't get me wrong...I'm still looking forward to receiving the Mac...mostly because I really dislike Windows.Three years with Windows...& theres still things I can't do...& I really dislike the XP promp-pop-ups that don't explain why something can't be done.
    (rant-off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wavey:

11. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

what are you trying to show with the screenshots?

12. UpPy

UpPy Guest

Just how complicated XP is...at least I find it so.
    I ripped the shots from google...they explain far better then I ever could.

:wavey: