overclocking using ati tray tools

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xinster, Aug 28, 2006.

1. xinster

xinster New Member

I have a radeon x300 se

for values it says

BIOS gpu 324
    BIOS mem 196

How much higher can i set my core speed and mem speed without having the comp fuck up for temperature or any other reason? I don't have a new fan, but i have an open case now

2. Schproda

Schproda New Member

An open case doesn't mean your components will be cooler. I'm not sure I'd overclock anything.

3. xinster

xinster New Member

by changing the values higher, i will make the system work harder, so be able to run faster/play prettier graphics, but also hotter right?

so, what would be like a significant change? I'm not going to be doubling the values, i just need some sort of perspective

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

The different would be more noticable in the temperature of the card vs the speed increase of your video. I'd go to some gaming sites and see if anyone is overclocking it successfully.

5. optendo

optendo The next generation of console gaming!

I doubt anyone has overclocked an x300. I could be wrong. Truthfully with video cards 10 or 20 MHZ increase COULD make it over heat to the point of killing a part. I would use that find max speeds button for core and ram that are within the ATI tool. Sometimes the computer will crash or start counting artifacts (should be shown in the fuzzy cube display) once it has found the max speeds. If the computer crashed it should report to you what speeds it was on next time you open ATI tool. I did a quick search and this guy overclocked the Gigabyte x300 so you might want to see what he is getting too. I would not recommend just setting to speeds to what he has.
    http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=345&p=11

Good Luck!

6. xinster

xinster New Member

Ok, i don't understand a few things.

1. Why not set speeds to what he has?

2. What are the first/second number next to MHZ stand for?

3. My shit is a short end, and i never had temperature problems before, i don't know how to check temp. so how do i do that? But i doubt i will have a serious overheat problem bc im not going to overclock to a ridiculous speed.

7. optendo

1. Because you may not have the same brand card (Gigabyte, Asus, BFG, ...). Also every chips can be just a little bit different. I can have the same exact card you do but can have different results when overclocking.

2. That is how fast the chips are running at. Frequency to be exact.

3. ATI Tool should have temperature readings at the bottom of the program as shown here. First one is core temperature, second it memory temperature.

[​IMG]

8. xinster

xinster New Member

uh, so in response to your answer number 2, it goes 1st number core speed, 2nd number memory speed?

9. xinster

xinster New Member

yeah its also blank where the temperature should be

10. xinster

xinster New Member

also, how do i properly "find max core"

"find max mem"

and "Scan for artifacts"?

are the first 2 values the values i should never exceed?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dude, you have a x300. that's basically the SHITTIEST card ATi makes, right now. It is NOT designed for overclocking in any capacity.

Just stop.

12. xinster

xinster New Member

Uhm, if you read the link he posted, and there is another overclocking review on that site for a different x300, both reviews say they experienced some of the best overclocking results ever.

13. xinster

xinster New Member

"It is not uncommon for a good overclock to result in a 1000pt gain in 3Dmark2001 SE, but to receive a 3000+pt increase is just insane! These impressive gains were also evident in real world applications, as this 4 pixel pipeline graphics card scored a massive 20+fps boost in Unreal Tournament 2004. Overall, the overclocking abilities of this graphics card were amazing and with the right gear, I am sure they can become even more amazing."

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so you bought a video card that was designed to give "basic home/office users with limitied requirements" video output from motherboards that lack onboard audio and you expect it to give you ANY decent performance?

you're a tool.

And if you don't know these basics of overclocking, then you should not be doing it!

15. xinster

xinster New Member

Those guys got amazing results. I'm sure i can at least get a decent improvement if i play it safe.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what do you consider decent improvment?

What is it that you wish to accomplish?

17. xinster

xinster New Member

well i read about like 8 reviews which included overclocking variants of the radeon x300 and x300se and they have all said basically the same thing-

It's a budget card which gets budget quality, but has surprisingly low tempereature even with just a small heatsink and no fan, and has amazing overclock potential even without cooling mods.

I just want any kind of improvement, i would settle for that. I have a large ext. fan as well. I want to get the most juice out of this card that i can, but as i said, i want to play it safe and not go to the max as most of those pros did. One guy experienced a 38% overclock

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

and even if you got a 38% o/c it's still a budget card that can't do jack shit.

19. xinster

xinster New Member

yeah, somethin like that lol

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Some people prefer to accomplish as much as they can with limited resources, rather than throw money at the problem. It's called a challenge. Let him have his fun.

21. xinster

xinster New Member

ATITool still doesnt show me the temp or the graph. Should i mess with the Mem speed? Legionhardware increased their core speed by 115 with no extra cooling. I have an open case, and an ext. fan i turn on for playing games, i turned it up by 95. But it doesn't say anything about mem speed.

22. optendo

usually you want to increase both the mem speed and the core speed together to get the most out of the card. You might have to drop the core speed to increase the mem speed because the of increase in ambient temp.

23. deusexaethera

Whatever you do, you should try to keep the RAM speed and the GPU speed at settings that are both multiples of 25 or 33. Otherwise there may be a large number of clock ticks before the GPU clock and the RAM clock both tick at the same time, and they can only exchange information when their clocks tick at the same time. Needless to say, if their clocks only line up a couple dozen times a second, you'll get shitty results.

24. xinster

xinster New Member

I'll fix that right now, out of curiousity why 25 or 33? I'l pick 25

hmm, the core speed keeps resetting from 400 to 399.6

25. deusexaethera

399.6 is fine. What I should have said was "25 or 33.3". 399.6 = 33.3 x 12.

25MHz and 33MHz are 1/4 and 1/3, respectively, of 100MHz. That makes them good factors of multiplication for clock speeds. They were standardized years ago; if you figure out the exact number of MHz for your CPU, for example, it will be a clean multiple of 25 or 33.3.

Actually, they might not even use 25 anymore. (shrug) I know 33 is good, though.