overclocking question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MaDsK1LLz, Aug 8, 2004.

1. MaDsK1LLz

MaDsK1LLz New Member

i've never overclocked any of my pc's before and i was just wondering how i can go about doing so.

this is my system:
    asus sk8n nforce3 pro 150 mobo
    amd athlon 64 fx-51 + ajigo heatsink fan
    4x512 corsair xms ddr pc3200 registered ecc ram
    2x western digital 250gb sata 7200rpm (raid 0 striping)
    geforce fx5950 ultra

i've got powerstrip and the settings are at:
    2D - 300/950 MHz
    3D - 510/950 MHz

on anandtech, they overclocked it and got it up to 2.4xx GHz here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=1936

What all are my options for overclocking? should i get a better fan for the cpu or just try overclocking? thanks

2. affende

affende Guest

if you are going to OC, you will need better cooling....and spend some quality money on an after market HSF, you will get what you pay for. I'd go with a 100% copper Heatsink with as big a fan as will fit, that will let you run the fan at slower speeds ( thusly quieter ) and still get good temps

when you OC a proc, there a couple of ways to do it. In the BIOS, one can increase the FSB ( base frequency at which the proc operates ), or increase the multiplyer. ( to get the yield, miltuply the FSB and the multiplyer - i.e. 100 mhz fsb and 12x multi = 1200 MHz)

when you do this, however, that proc is gonna be straining for more juice...so you will also have to up the Voltage going to the proc (Vcore)...this, of course, gives off more heat....hence the need for better cooling....

here is a link to PcPerspective.com

it is a goot site for everything AMD...and even some intel crap.....go to the forums section and scroll down...there is an entire forum for OverClocking with a good newb guide stickied

hope this helps, im on pcper.com as "affende", it's a good forum

-aff

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2004
  3. MaDsK1LLz

MaDsK1LLz New Member

wat's a good hsf company and model (if possible) for my fx51?

4. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

shit why do you need to overclock that
    id say youre just risking a meltdown of a machine that owns everything else anyway

5. waldo98

waldo98 OT Supporter

I recommend Thermaltake HSFs. I have a Thermaltake Spark 7+ with external fan control and I love it.

6. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

:nono:

TT = crap

Thermalright and Swiftech are the kings.

edit: since you will be oc'ing and will probably go aircooled, I recommend the slk948u and ur choice on a 90mm fan

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  7. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

I would say thermaltake is crap but thermalright and swiftech are better. I have had good results with a number of different thermaltake heatsink and fans.

8. affende

affende Guest

i wouldn't call thermaltake crap, either.....but i would say they are below par....expensive, loud, and bad quality for money / results

thermalright is a cood company with quality HSF...you should try the XP-120....i am eager to see results for that HSF.....its a big mofo

by top three, in no particular order: Thermalright, Zalman, and Swiftech

9. affende

affende Guest

AIM, MSN, ICQ in my profile....hit me up anytime after 6:00pm and before 6:00am ...... ill respond when i see the message, or you might get lucky and actually catch me at my comp

10. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

have you used thermaltakes Silent boost series? I have and was rather impressed with the athlon XP version of it took a 2700+ and was able to run it at 2.5ghz without problems.... using my Thermalright and a 92mm tornado I wasn't able to do any better then temps were only 1 degree cooler. but yeah I guess the 21db on the silent boost is loud to some people :dunno: ooh and as far as I know the XP-120 is only for the socket 478 I have yet to see an A64 version but I could be wrong :confused: