Overclocking...n00b question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jeeteeare, Nov 21, 2003.

1. jeeteeare

jeeteeare New Member

I've been doing some research on overclocking, and it seems to me like something that may be beyond my technical capabilities. I think I read somewhere than OCing can be achived simply by messing with the BIOS, instead of physically altering the CPU.
    Is there any online resource that has DETAILED instructions on how to do this through the BIOS, and do it safely so I won't have to integrate a liquid-cooling system?

2. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

what mobo/processor do you have? I have a p4p800 asus 478 board and i do it all through bios.

3. jeeteeare

jeeteeare New Member

AMD 2600+XT, MSI K7N2 Delta-L nForce2 Ultra 400

4. affende

affende Guest

i OCed a 1700+ on that same board.... this is my site of choice

www.overclockers.com

5. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

i have the asus p4c800-e deluxe I'm guessing i can do it through the bios as well? what setting do you change and how do you know if you went to high?

6. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

You know you go too high when it doesnt boot up correctly..

A good way to learn what you can achieve is to read what others have done. Alot of people will post saying "1700 running at 200x10 at 1.7V" which means front side bus of 200 mhz, clock multiplier set to "10x" and Vcore set to 1.7V... you can then try it on your board and see if it works.

But before hand you should figure out what to do (ie clear CMOS) in the event you go overboard and push too far. If you slowly work your way up, changing FSB and multiplier, you will be okay.

You wont need to worry about water cooling unless you have a fast CPU to begin with, like a 3200, and want to push it alot farther. You can bump a barton 2500 to 3200 on normal air cooling easily.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

BTW, some older Asus motherboards (and others too I'm sure) would literally die if you OCed to the point of it not booting correctly. I cant remember exactly what the problem was, but it resulted in lots of people ruining their boards. I'm sure this isnt an issue now with your specific motherboard, but then again I don't know shit about MSI as I prefer Abit myself. Might want to investigate that :hs: