Overclocking e6300 problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sk0rcher, Jan 16, 2008.

1. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

Alright, well I just got a new cpu cooler/fan, thermal paste, and a second gig of memory. Now my system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86
    2 gigs corsair xms 2x1gb ram ddr2 800
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    XFX 7900GS

Anyways, on the stock hsf/cooler I was able to go straight up to 333fsb instead of stock 266 fsb, but put it back down because I needed a new cpu cooler. I went ahead and ordered the Freezer 7 Pro, Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste, put it on, put the second gig of same ram in, and system dropped about 10 degrees C.

The problem is now I can't overclock my cpu at all! I can't even put the fsb at 300 mhz, and everytime I try to change the voltage the system won't start. It will just restart about 3 times, go back to default settings, and nothing changes.

I was able to change the FSB up to 333mhz with a stock cooler and 1 gig of corsair xms ram ddr2 800, but with the new hsf and second gig nothing...any help?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

i'll take a stab at it being because of either the new ram, or the fact that the two types of ram don't play well together.

3. Rmc[AZ]

Rmc[AZ] Get the fuck off my fucking ice

Reset CMOS, try again.

Still not working, remove new stick of RAM.

If it does work, remove old stick and use only new stick, see what happens.

Standard troubleshooting.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

what are your ram timings? when i started to OC, i turned all features off and set it to it's most conservative settings... once i got a stable oc i liked, i pushed my timings backs, etc.

there are plenty of OC guides on other forums... well it seems to be one master guide posted on many forums. that's what i followed with great success.

5. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Maybe try re-seating the CPU :dunno:

I would have better ideas but its 6am and I haven't slept.

6. sk0rcher

Lazy ram timings, tried both fast and slow (from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-18) ran on both sticks. I can either change ram timings or cpu speed, not both. I reset CMOS and now im going to remove one stick of ram to make sure the second is bad or won't run well with the first. I also ran memtest and it seemed to work fine.

7. sk0rcher

Wow how shitty.

Removed second stick of ram, oc'ed to 333 easily. No problems. Lazy ram timings. Why won't the second stick work with the first? The first is older, and a slightly different model (had an extra G at the end of serial versus first). Should I contact corsair? They worked fine together without oc'ing but won't when I do....

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

did you install the ram at slots #1 and #3?
    try slots #2 and #4

9. sk0rcher

1 and 2 dont work, 1 and 3 don't work, ill try 2 and 4 later. As soon as I put second stick back in at comp failed to boot. Took it out it booted fine. Has to be the stick...

10. etech

etech New Member

What ram voltage are you running?

If still at 1.8 volts, try it at 1.9.

11. sk0rcher

I messed with that earlier and I could only either change the memory timings / voltage or overclock the fsb, not both.

12. sk0rcher

Right now at 400 FSB, with one stick memory at 1:1 ratio. Gonna try flipping mem sticks around. They SHOULD both work, both will be set to stock timings (5-5-5-12) at 1.9V and at 800 mhz...I will be pissed if I plug in the other or flip em around and both don't work. If I can't get second one to work gonna return it.

13. sk0rcher

Well I threw the second gig of ram into slot 3 and it booted! Stupid memory stick :p. Running some stability tests now and overnight, my cpu idles at around 43 C, not too bad. Thanks everyone for the help.