Overclocking and warranty

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MSTRBKR, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

If I bought a laptop from Dell and overclocked the CPU would I void the warranty? Infact would I even be able to or is it locked out?

A 0.12 Ghz bump in clock speed on an i3-330m costs £40 so I thought I may as well just do it myself.

2. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Actually, I should post the specs as well so I'm not making any big mistakes. This looks good to me for the price.

I'm hoping for this to replace my desktop because I want portability. I'll be using it for photo editing in photoshop and lightroom, working on illustrator, low complexity modelling with solidworks and rendering said models with hypershot.

I hear the i3-330m is comparable to a 2.4ghz c2d which is what I have now and serves me well.

It's a Dell Studio 17.

[​IMG]

3. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Generally, preconstructed computers have their rates locked or restricted. I'm also pretty sure you can void your warranty, assuming Dell finds out (I think you can just change it back without any issues).

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure you can't overclock a laptop without some major hacking of the bios.

5. thekraft

thekraft New Member

I think only some laptops have that problem. Also, third party apps can overclock in Windows or whatever OS you're using, so this may not necessarily be a problem.