Overclocking AMD 3700

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Protoman, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Protoman

Protoman New Member

Hey guys I had a quick quetion on how much to overclock my amd 3700(san diego core). I have a Abit kn8 motherboard, 1gig of ram, replaced the stock heat sink with a copper unit and put on a better heat paste between the processor and the heatsink. In the abit screen before windows loads up I can adjust all the settings that would need to be changed. Im not sure what to increase and what not to. I was tinkering with it the other day and left the multiplier alone and increased the fsb value by a few points and got it up to 2.4ghz. I did not mess with any of the voltage settings or any ram settings. I want to make it as fast as I can but being safe at the same time. I would appreciate any input anyone would be willing to give me. Thanks for your time and have a great day! :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

There is no direct answer to this.
    You can have 20 people with exact same set up as yours and it's highly possible that no 2 will have the same OC experience.

The old rule of thumb applies here: Go slow and stress test between each until you find the unstable post, then back it down a bit.
    I believe even today most OC'er use Prime95 run for at least 12hrs to test for real stability.

3. Protoman

Protoman New Member

cool.. thanks for the advice

4. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

5. droopz

droopz New Member

Like it was mentioned above, everyones OC will be different. My watercooled 3700 was at just over 2.8 before it started failing in Prime95. Even then, that was due to my crappy RAM at the time.

Just make sure you keep your total FSB under 1000, and test every step.