overcharged for replacing oxy sensor

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by cp5184, Jul 3, 2009.

1. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

the check engine light popped on my civic. I checked the manual, and no this doesn't mean there's a mechanical problem with my engine. the good book says that it indicates a problem in the engine emission control system... so I'm figuring it's an oxygen sensor or something like that.

so when I dropped it off to be looked at, I was asking about how much this place charges for an oil change and some other stuff, and the dropped that the engine light thing will cost $100 which I'm translating as they're charging me $100 to hook the car up to an onboard diagnostic reader...

so... am I getting completely and totally screwed?

2. gensix

gensix New Member

billy mays here with oxysensor

3. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Take it to AutoZone and get the code pulled and the light cleared, then fix it yourself.

4. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Or learn how to pull the code yourself

5. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

autozone pulls codes for free, you get the code come back online and look up what it means and do research on here. Cost you nothing and you can fix the car yourself.

6. nj0ywatch1np0rn

nj0ywatch1np0rn New Member

aren't O2 sensors warrantied under the emissions warranty?

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Narrowband oxygen sensors cost about $100 apiece, depending on brand and vendor. Wideband oxygen sensors cost quite a bit more.

That being said, he probably did mean $100 just to pull the codes, in which case you should go to Retard Auto Parts and buy a $50 code reader instead, so you know what needs done ahead of time.

I don't think oxygen sensors are warrantied, because they are usually considered a wear item. Only the catalyst is covered (and also battery packs and controllers, on hybrids).