SRS Outside

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by red_fox, Oct 1, 2007.

1. red_fox

red_fox New Member

Not sure what it's called but I get very anxious if I need to go outside my apartment or going to new places unless I'm going with a friend. It's hindering and troublesome.

Going downstairs to do laundry.
    Going out for food.
    Parties.

An example is that when I go out for food and I'm not with a friend, I choose places I don't really have to talk to people very much to get the food. So, not starbucks or subway.

Just today, I put off doing laundry until 8pm at night since I was anxious about going out.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. Animall0versist

Animall0versist New Member

Its agriphobia, my brother has it

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

4. Panoptimist

Panoptimist Put a bangin' donk on it.

Dude, fuck 'em. Think about it.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Have you ever talked to someone about this? Have you talked to your parents to find out if other family members have had this kind of mentality?

Have you tried seeing a therapist to understand why you are having this problem so that you can understand steps to fix it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_exposure_therapy

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

While it sound like Agoraphobia it doesn't mean he has it. If he had it he would't go out at all. Just sounds like you have intense social anxiety. You should immediately seek out a doctor to talk about it/possibly get medication to help.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

His problem is not serious enough for medication.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Actually...yes, it could be :hsugh: I had horrible social anxiety a few years ago. I sought counseling and was also given Zoloft. It helped me dramatically and I was no longer anxious when going outside to do even the most mundane errand. He doesn't have Agoraphobia, because he wouldn't be going outside at all....but he certainly sounds like he has a ton of anxiety, and that can be helped with certain meds.

9. red_fox

red_fox New Member

I was invited to a couple parties this weekend. The first one I felt a lot of anxiety and it was 2 hours after the party started that I showed up. The girl hosting had called and if she hadn't called, I was just going to stay in and excuse myself afterward.

I arrived, I only knew a handful of people there, I said hi to them and talked with one about law school. The chairs were taken and the handful of people I knew were engaged in an activity so I watched for a while but got uncomfortable just standing around looking like I was by myself. So, I left. I was there maybe 15 minutes.

I would have liked to have met some of the strangers there but what kept going through my mind didn't seem right. Just saying, "Hey, I'm ____." then what? I didn't know how to go around meeting new people.

A guy I used to live with invited me to a party the next night and at first I wanted to go because I didn't have anything else, but then I cancelled and texted him with "I think I'm gonna just stay in tonight". Again, I would have known a few people there but I think the idea of strangers at the party made me stay at my place that night.

10. red_fox

red_fox New Member

I checked out Social Anxiety Disorder and the description of the symptoms look like mine.

11. pretty_n_ink

pretty_n_ink New Member

It sounds to me like Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia. I was exactly like you, I was very social and then BOOM, I felt weird and shaky when I left my house. In my house I was "safe", but I couldn't venture a few miles to the store for smokes. It was terrible.

Some people can go through behavioral therapy and exposure therapy which basically forces you to go out, in small sessions and not far away, until you realize that you won't have the feeling of going crazy or feeling out of touch.

I did therapy and took medication and now I'm fine. I'm still on medication for panic attacks (Zoloft & Xanax) but I can go anywhere now, I'm finally back to being social and I can't imagine being stuck inside again.

It takes a lot of hard work and sometimes medication but it is curable. Good luck.

Here are a few links that might help. :)

http://anxiety.psy.ohio-state.edu/PanicDisorder.htm

http://anxiety.psy.ohio-state.edu/Agoraphobia.htm

12. red_fox

red_fox New Member

^Thanks. :) hey, I go to ohio state

13. pretty_n_ink

pretty_n_ink New Member

No problem. It will get better, just try to remember that you aren't crazy and this is very common. Panic attacks are basically a malfunction in the fight/flight response part of your brain. You panic and need a safe place for "flight" but no actual danger happened to cause this reaction from your body. Once you train your brain to not react unless you really are in danger it'll be like you never had this problem. :x: