Outlook express problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Renz, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Renz

Renz Guest

I'm having problems with my outlook express.. I recieve emails with attachments. Well when i open the attachment it asks me to either save it to a disk or open it. I click open it and it sends it to the apporpriate program.
    To make a long story short. When it goes to MS Word. It opens up... But it opens up as a html document or something like that. It opens up alot of jargin and misaligns the whole document. It shows ip address, html codes and so on. How can i make word read the files i'm opening as a word document and not a html document? is it a setting in MS Word or in Outlook express?

any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Sounds like express is sending the email message with headers plus maybe the attachment to Word, instead of just the word doc. So what happens if you save it to disk and then load it?

3. Renz

Renz Guest

i'm away from my computer right now. i'm at school. but i'll try that first thing when i get back to it.

if it only does it when i open it directly to word. how can i fix that? or do you have anything on your mind right now on what it could be?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

First instinct would try an Excel file (ie another Office doc), then if that worked, take a look at the extension under file types, reinstall OE and finally Office.

5. Renz

Renz Guest

ok i sent myself an excel file from another computer and opened it on my problem computer and it opened up fine.
    so the problem only lies when opening up a MS Word attachment. I sent myself as well a MS Word attachement and the same damn jargin came out. So what could it be?
    here is a lil more info. my Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook express, i have both on the computer) no longer opens up. it says it has an OEL registration file error and it will now close. This started happening when my Outlook express started crapping out and opening up jargin with my MS Word attachments. What could be the problem?

oh and thanks 5Gen_Prelude for stepping up and trying to help me out with my problem.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

I would resinstall office at this point (BTW - it's OLE registration). Make sure Office is fully patched as well after you're done. That's the easiest way to fix it

7. Renz

Renz Guest

can i reinstall office without losing any of my documents? and if so how? custom install?

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Your docs are most likely stored in My documents which have nothing to do with Office. Besides, Office has a reinstall option which doesn't require you to unistall first

9. Renz

Renz Guest

thanks alot for all the help... :bigthumb: i'll try it out today.

10. morecomplete

morecomplete Guest

If you haven't already try the Detect and Repair option under help, it's pulled me out of some funky stuff before, plus, it's quick and easy.

11. Renz

Renz Guest

so i just go to help in the start button and look up "detect and repair"? or do i go to the help button in outlook express?

12. Renz

Renz Guest

5th... i already uninstalled and reinstalled windows and it still is doing (OLE registration error code). what can i do to get this going? i dont know what else to do. :(

13. 5Gen_Prelude

How does one uninstall windows?

14. Renz

Renz Guest

i put in the gateway #1 cd with word, excel, outlook, etc....

then clicked on set up.

from there went to unistall office

then it uninstalled word, excel, outlook, etc...

then went and installed it again thru setup.

15. 5Gen_Prelude

Oh, you unistalled office! I see - anyway hmmm I'm looking back on the problem - outlook was having problems opening or opening emails with these attachments? And were the files fine if you saved them first and then opened them?

The other thing you could do was to get yourself reg cleaner and clean out the reg settings after you uninstall office.

16. 5Gen_Prelude

Oh yeah, once you unistall Office, you may want to disassociate .doc files within the file types as well. That shoud force Office to reinstate them properly with the right open commands when you reinstall.

17. Renz

Renz Guest

how would i go about disassociating the .doc files?

18. 5Gen_Prelude

windows explorer->Tools->Folder Options->File Types