outback, a3, prius(?)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bromide, Jun 4, 2009.

1. bromide

bromide New Member

i'm going to be buying a new car near the end of this year and am starting to look at different options. i'm looking for something reliable, somewhat roomy and at least a little fuel efficient. i would like to keep it around 30k-32k tops.

the outback, a3 and prius all look nice to me, but i don't know too much about cars. which of these would you pick? can prius handle much off of the smooth road? i wander out into the wilderness every so often, so i need something that can handle a little bump in the neglected road (though i'd prefer not an all out suv).

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy a Prius and get it chipped. You'd be surprised how much power it has when the ECU doesn't cut the electric motor's balls off -- and it will still get good mileage when you're not stomping the gas.

As far as the suspension goes, it's really not made for going off pavement or gravel, but if you put tires on it that aren't the absolute shittiest on Earth (like what it comes with), it should be fine. It's not the cheap plastic toy it looks like -- it's still built like a Toyota.

3. philcasi

philcasi OT Supporter

The new prius is going to be my next car with the solar roof.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Local Prius owner just had his 2002 die on him. Too expensive to repair, out of warranty. He's offering it up to people who want to build a hybrid vehicle, or if they want to fix it.

Catalytic converter - $2,600 from Toyota, $1,600 from independent shop
    Main battery pack - $2,500 from Toyota
    Inverter - $4,600 from Toyota, he bought a used one and got it installed for $860 and it also died shortly after.

All this went out at 147,000 miles.

Of course, newer models should be better. :x::rolleyes:

5. bromide

bromide New Member

is this a common problem with prius? i haven't heard anything like that before. i was somewhat leaning toward the prius. my fiancee likes the outback, what are your guys opinions of that car?

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

how long do you plan on keeping the car? how often do you go out into the wilderness with it?

the cheapest of them all is the outback. and will even be cheaper come july/august when the new generation comes out.

7. bromide

bromide New Member

i'd like to keep it as long as possible. my last car was an 86 toyota. i don't mind holding onto a car if it still runs ok. i'll only venture out on bumpy roads a handful of times. 10-15/year.

the '10 outbacks look nice. i was thinking if i get an outback i might hold out till those come out. are outbacks generally reliable cars?

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Regarding the Prius, I have heard/read that the battery packs are expected to live 150,000-180,000 miles. So his went out "right on time". I'm guessing that the other problems (cat and inverter) are less common, but still not something I would be willing to replace on a 150,000 mile car that is only 7 years old.

It would be in your best interest to read up on Prius maintenance and parts life expectancy before you jump on an 09'. The new ones may have much better reliability? I can not say from experience. A Prius forum might have less biased information than a Toyota brochure. People usually post up their problems and concerns on the internet.

9. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I heard the Prius is very expensive to repair. I have read the horror stories of the batteries go bad in the car and they just cost to much to replace.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

ibheneverservicedit

147000 miles is a good run for most cars. He had nothing to complain about. I should show you the repair bill on my Passat with 123000 miles on it. In any event, the catalyst was probably assassinated by a bad oxygen sensor -- they don't always fail enough to set off the Check Engine light, and running slightly rich for several tens of thousands of miles can wear out the catalyst prematurely.

Besides, there is always someone who gets hit with the worst-case scenario.

11. bromide

bromide New Member

i suppose i was spoiled with my toyota truck that had at least 250000 mi before it was stolen. i guess i have a bit more research to do. thoughts on the outback?

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

7 years and/or 150,000 miles out of a car I bought brand new would be a HUGE disappointment in my book. Maybe it's just the old school Toyota in me, but I expect a lot more out of a car than that.

13. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

The Outback is a great car. It's a Subaru, so it's good offroad and very reliable. I'v ehad my Impreza 2.5RS since I got it new in August 2000, and it still runs fine now with 96k on it, even with the turbo kit I put on the stock engine about 40k miles ago. Can't go wrong with a Subaru, and seems like a good choice for you.

14. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

The 2010 Outback CVT was just rated 29mpg highway. Pretty good for a large AWD wagon.

15. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

What the hell does a catalytic converter, battery pack, and inverter have to do with service? Those are all static and/or electrical parts.

300,000 miles is the average subaru life expectancy.

Subaru will be more comfortable.

Subaru will look better.

Subaru will get close in MPG.

Subaru can actually go off road.

The wife wants the Subaru.

Subaru wont make you look gay.

Get the Subaru.

The parents of my good buddy got a subaru 25 years ago, they refuse to drive anything else.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009