LGBT Out to your boss

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MLH, Apr 11, 2005.

1. MLH

MLH New Member

This is a question for those who work for cooprate America or actually anyone who works in general. Are you or aren't you out to your boss/co-workers?

This subject came up the other day because I work with 6 out of 20 on my shift gay people which we projected was a high number in a workplace. I have no problem talking about my sexuality with my co-workers or telling them about the crazy nights downtown at the local gay clubs. But the other day, one of the girls outted all of us to our bosses who were in complete shock. I found myself for a minute upset with her. It's not that I care that they know, but I felt like that is something I have the right to say to my boss who is totally cool with it even though it made working the past week a little weird because the six of us were walking around on egg shells beause we just saw the shock with no response from our bosses.

I don't know where this was going but I just wanted to know how many people have the comfort of being open at work and how many people have to "keep to themselves."

2. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

The coming out thing always seemed weird to me. It makes it seem as if you are hiding who you are, and that it's a big secret that you are gay.

3. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

I'm out at work. :dunno:

I'll probably always continue to be...never had a problem with it so far.

4. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

My boss doesn't know. He asks every now and then if I've got a girlfriend. :mamoru: I figure I'll find out what his position on homosexuality is before I say anything.

5. Jobe

Jobe keke ^_^

I'm only out to one coworker, who also happens to be the first person I came out to. Everyone else I work with is a bigot and have made several gay jokes and have commented about how "sick" it is. Their ignorance is astounding... hahaha, they're so oblivious.

6. Taylor

Taylor Guest

I'm out at work. I've worked there for 2 years now and I'm very close with my co-workers; we're like a family. I have had zero negative response.

7. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Did she do it out of malice? Or did it just come up in conversation? :dunno:

8. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...I'm out at work. Only had one real issue, but it wasn't that big of a deal and actually ended up making me look the better, more professional person.

9. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

same here

10. Team503

Team503 Guest

I'm out, I guess. I certainly don't hide it, but it probably won't come up. I do say "boyfriend" when I talk about Marc, but I'm not very obvious.

Besides, if you ask me, I'll gladly tell you - I just don't like being know as the token gayboy in the office. I'm Alex first, gay second, if you know what I mean.

11. MLH

MLH New Member

She didnt do it out of Malice, she is (whats the word for a girl who dates a boy one week and then a girl the next?) <- one of those......
    We had this big joke about when we see people comming in for interviews that we take bets on what "shift" they are going to be put on basically if they struck high on the radar or not. The bossman overheard one day us talking about what shift we wanted this little cute boy to be on, and then she later in the week explained what "shift" really means and that we were all gay......

I mean I know I really didnt have to tell anything to my boss seeing how my mailbox at my office says dancing diva instead of my name..... But its all good I suppose, I guess these next couple of weeks will be fun for me!!!!

12. coma

coma New Member

My boss knows because it's so obvious, but he dosen't care because he's very liberal and he respects my privacy. So, I guess I'm out by default but I've never made a grand statement to him that I lke guys or words to that effect.

13. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I am out and refuse to take a job where I cannot be - it would be lying to myself and others. One boss I had in the mid 90's in Calgary, AB was a huge homophone and tried to make my life rough, but didn't work - I threw back everything and then some to him.

It did cost me a job one other time - My boss's boss didn't want a gay male working for the company, so they punted me (late 90's in Calgary again).

On the other, more positive side, I had a large multi-national company change their benefit program to include same-sex partner benefits to include mine - first time they were ever asked to (7,000 employees and no-one ever asked before!!!).

14. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

I am out to a few at this job, but with a position of some power it could easily turn around and haunt me (maybe?). Those that know dont care, though one was all giddy when he found out because he thought I was going to be upset about it. He heard it in a rumor and the rest is pretty obvious. He said that he did feel kind of embarassed when I told him yes.

FWIW, my boss is also gay. Sorry no :naughty: hes not my type.....even for a raise.

15. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I'm out to one co-worker at my day job. That's it. I was out to several people at my night job. It all depends on who the people are, and how comfortable I am around them.

16. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

I think all 6 of my student workers know that I am gay. The other full-time person in my office doesn't. I think my boss knows, but it hasn't been explicitly stated. (One of my student workers brought a sexual harassment charge against the full-time woman in our office, for degoriatory comments made about homosexuals) :mamoru:

17. Jobe

Jobe keke ^_^

Bad ass. How did that work out? I'd love to burn my co-workers :squint:

18. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

It wasn't a formal complaint, so charges weren't filed, but it did serve as a stern and solitary warning to her though. She started crying to me that she has no idea why people are targeting her with these lies. And I just remember back to the week before when she told me that "the male homosexual lifestyle physically destroys the human body" and I just continue to laugh to myself.

19. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Has anyone ever come out to someone, but thay already knew?
    "Mike.... I'm gay."
    "And?"
    "You KNEW!?!?!"
    "Well it was kinda obvious..."
    That's just what I always imagine. All of the gay people I know... shit, you just know.

20. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:noes::noes::noes: :rofl:

21. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...she's made so many comments that Ferron could laugh to himself for a lifetime. :mamoru: I always have to watch my comments when I visit his office. Or, at least try to. ;)