Out of the Loop: replacing woofers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaIceMan, Jan 12, 2005.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I have a set of Advent speakers... around 18-19 years old. The original woofers have DIAF. I want to replace them with a decent sounding woofer. I have seen Vifa being recommended on OT and some research has shown them to be a good choice.

My problem: I can't remember what number on the specs I need to look at to determine if the woofer is close enough to work in the cabinets I have. Been about 15 years since I was building speaker boxes for cars and I knew all that stuff then, but have since forgotten. If anyone could guide me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

If the surrounds have simply disintegrated you can send the woofers out to www.speakerrepair.com for repair, or alternately the place sells DIY kits to fix them yourself. I had a set of speakers done there a few years ago and they came back good as new. It will be a whole lot cheaper than buying new drivers.

3. DaIceMan

my problem there is shipping. By the time I pay for shipping both ways, I'm going to be looking at more than the cost of the Vifa woofers I was looking at, and still have a nearly 20 old woofer.

I have checked locally for a shop to repair them, but I can't seem to find any with a decent reputation that I would trust.

4. 04

04 Guest

The problem with fixing speakers by replacing one of the components with a different one is that the entire tone of the speaker can be dramatically changed. For some people, it isnt too big a deal, but for others it is.

How concerned are you with sound quality, and what is your budget?

5. DaIceMan

Sound quality is very important to me. I could easily replace the speakers with something cheap, but I'd rather have sound as near as new as possible.

Budget is something that changes regularly. The woofers I was looking at for replacements were like $60 each, and that's acceptable. These speakers, along with the equally old Kenwood Reciever and 5 CD Changer will probably be "demoted" to game room sound system rather than Home Theater system.

I'm trying to save money to replace these components with something modern for my home theater.

6. 04

04 Guest

Well in that case, I would highly reccomend either getting the woofers reconed, or trying to find replacement woofers.

Replacing the woofer with a different one IMO wouldnt be the best idea, because for the best sound, you'd have to do extensive research and testing to design a new crossover :hs:

7. DaIceMan

8. DaIceMan

Upon further inspection, the original woofers for the 8" prodigy IIs that I have, are dead and gone. they only sell a replacement woofer from AR.

I guess that leads me back to trying to re-foam them myself, and if that doesn't work out, I can go for the replacements. Worse case scenario, I retire them for good. :wtc:

9. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

How much do they weigh. If they are fairly lightweight the shipping shouldnt be too bad.

10. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

My Dad has some Kingdom-Lorenz speakers that he bought in '58 (top of the line, $158 for the pair). One of the 25W woofers fried so I took the other one out and replaced them with 150W woofers from Radio Shack.